I need some help from the board members that frequently go after smallmouth. I'm determined to get myself my first keeper smallmouth before the season is over, but I'm not sure where to look. I know I could head down to the cape, but I don't have a lot of spare weekends left since my part-time after-work gig starts up again in a couple weeks. So the question is this: Within roughly an hour's drive from the intersection of I-95 and the masspike, where would you go for a decent shot at catching a smallie? I'd love to find a decent spot to put in my jon boat and start the hunt, but there's so many ponds to pick from and access is always a crapshoot. I've poured over the mass wildlife pond maps, and there are some options. But I figured I'd take advice from some of the knowledgeable folks on the board before going by the sometimes wildly outdated information that those maps provide.

In addition to the where, what would be solid lure choices? From what I can recall, spinnerbaits, jig-n-pigs, tubes, dropshot, and other finesse techniques should work, depending on weather and depth. What's your go-to for the current weather (hot as f*** and sunny)? Does the venerable senko catch them as well, or do they typically hold too deep for that to be effective?

In short: Help!

PS: Private messages are accepted as well. I know some folks would rather not spill the beans in public =)

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Mystic River has some nice Smallmouth, and I had luck on Tubes, 4" Senkos, and Rooster Tails... Good Luck!!!

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey Michael,

I ve had some great success with smallies over at lake Maspenock in Hopkinton. Right off of 135, near the 495 exits. There is a boat drop as well. Take a look at some of my trip logs and i have detailed some hot spots specifically for smallies.

Obviously if its dusk or later a jitter is great, but during normal light hours i have been red hot with a dark color Yamamotto worm and a Green Tail YUM worm. Both 5"

Good luck!

ps I recently read Smallies are usually found near rock walls, ext. Behind the rock island, in the main part of the lake, you will find a large wall, in which a house is built on. I caught a 3.5lb smallie there. For whatever reason i have yet to return, but i feel like its a great location for small mouths

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 am

sweet .i only caught 1 small mouth in merrimac river. got to try the hopkinton lake thx napa for the info.

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links