Does anyone have any good feedback on what would be the best line for baitcasting? I'm getting frustrated with the horrible backlash i'm getting.

I was using 12 lb Trelene mono with some medium size lures but was backlashing about every 1 in 5 casts now matter how I adjusted the mag brakes or spool tension. I figured mabey some smoother line would help.

I'm now trying some 15lb Spiderwire braid. I knew it would be more expensive but when time came to spool my reel I was shocked to realize you also only get 110 yards (vs 330 of mono for less)!!!! I don't mind paying more for smoother line but more for 2/3s less too! Damn!!!

My question is, are the expensive floro/braid lines worth the extra $$ in anyone's experience, and if so why?

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Hey Charlie, thats exactly what i use is the spider wire braid, 20 to 30 lbs
less backlash, smoother casts. overall better performance.
I just use cheap mono as a backing and then load the 125 yard spool on last.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 am

Braids worth it. I use Power pro 40lb test 10lb test diameter. Its $25 for 300 yard. Jonney is right tho use some mono backing. It saves on line an braid can spin around your spool when not using backing.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm

I just bought this 18 pound test Floro by Spiderwire. At first it seemed pretty stiff but I wanted really strong line for pitchen heaycover. I was casting a jig out on this reel and just happened
to set the hook on a bass. It was the most solid hook set I ever felt
Flourocarbon line has so little stretch and high strenth, but there is a time and place for everything. I still use mono for crankbaits because I feel that the stretch of the line helps the hook almost set itself. Most important thing I have learned about bait casting
is tto rely more on your thumb than brake adjustments. I set my reels as loose as I can get awaywith and concentrate on my thumbing. I can cast much further this way.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 pm

This is a good topic, but it really comes down to what feels good to you. I use 6lb-8lb mono on spinning, 10lb-12lb on baitcasting for most applications. Crystal Fireline for heavy cover and such. Mostly 8lb Flurocarbon on Spinning for shakeyhead, dropshot, crankbaits. But will change it up if need be.

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 pm

I agree with willluvstafish and using your thumb for braking. You'd be suprised, it doesn't take very long to get used to it.

Posted Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:16 pm

I prefer Spiderwire myself, but I know those who swear by braided line and will not use anything else if at all possible. Like most are saying, it's what works best for you and what you are most comfortable with. Good luck! Smile

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links