Hello all,

I've been lurking for a time, and have been planning to go fishing this year. I've never been before and don't really have anyone around that can teach me. I'm planning on starting with lures and a spinning reel that I picked up at a yard sale.

I live in Southbridge, and don't know all that much about how to get started. I'm particularly stumped by not knowing how to tie my lures to my lines.

Any tips, or thoughts on how I could learn from veterans would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I suggest the book Kids gone fishin

Also here is a link on how to tie fishing knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Posted Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm

welcome to the site Keith. the best advice I could give you for learning how to tie a good knot would be to go on line and search NETKNOTS and check out there site there is a bunch of knots to choose from. there are wrighten directions. and also anamated illistrations. This site will tell you what knot works best with the line you choose to use. mono/ fluro/ braid. but dont get boged down with all the choices you have. Pick a simple knot and practice with a small piece of rope. (you can make a eye hook from a coat hanger) Pick one knot to start with. Better to do one knot well, then a bunch of knots that your not shure of. well hope this helps.
-tight lines-

Posted Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks both! I went out for the first time today, and while I didn't catch anything, I had fun. Lost one lure to a poorly crafted knot, but it was a good lesson learned.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Keith,
What do you want to fish for?
I live near Southbridge.
Trout - try quiniboag river, my go to lures are brown buoyant and Colorado (gold/silver).
Bass - try a senko (blk/blue or green pumpkin) Wacky rigged.
All species- beetle spin, I have caught a 5lb bass to a tiny perch on this.
Knot-Palomar(easy and strong).
use a small swivel for trout fishing.
The lures are endless but this is a quick hi percentage list.
Give it a try and good luck.

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 am

Welcome aboard, Palomar knot is a good one. When I started I used 1/8oz roostertails, and Rapala F-5 Floater in Minnow color, and expanded from there, senkos, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits etc. Good luck!
-Meat

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links