I was at Fanuel Hall the other day and noticed that the Orvis store was closed. Are they closing everywhere?

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:03 pm

No- just that location. The Dedham store is still open, and they opened one in Peabody last year.

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm

That sucks! Was planning on going there sometime soon. Yeah, they are a over priced but their quality is second to none. I bought a lot of stuff there over the years. Shirts, gloves, buffs, pants, and sunglasses. All have taken a beating and have held up.

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm

The folks in the Dedham store told me that the Boston location was forced out due to non-renewal of their lease. They are looking to reopen at another location.

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 am

I purchased my zeroG rod there, test drove the rod in Columbus Park with a 20 mile wind coming off the ocean, figured if it threw nice there, then it would work anywhere

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:17 am

i havent ever got into fly fishing

Posted Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm

It's the best, love bass fishing with flies, awesome fights, last year hooked a pike on the rod, took 20. Minutes of fighting to land it

Posted Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Mark - have you had any luck with Bass on the fly yet this season? If so did you get them up top on the poppers, or down below on the Buggers etc? Thanks!

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I've been wanting to break out the fly rods but it's been too damn windy. Besides, the bite is just starting to turn on in the areas that I fish. So if we get a nice calm day I'm ready to go with my streamers.

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm

dimes - i wished with a buddy today who was throwing topwater stuff. he landed a nice bass on a yellow popper.

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Haven't been after Bass yet, I did grab some nice flies up at LLBean in Freeport today, just need the rain to stay away now

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Charliep - nice to hear they are after the top water stuff - sure sign the bass flyfishing season is near.

Fished a small brook this w/e - too overgrwon to flyfish, but tied a bubble to 4lb test on a 5 1/2 ft spinng rod and a phesant tail nymph off the bubble and caught maybe 6 smallish browns and brookies - great fun though on the light tackle.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

Peabody!! I was so excited to find out about the store last night. Picked up my first fly combo this week. I am glowing!! I've been wanting to learn for over a decade! When I was up in Kittery Maine (not even an hour away) I noticed an Orvis outlet as well. Then there's Kittery Trading Post. They seem to have everything you could ever need.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 am

Did you get the Clearwater combo on the 20% discount? or did you step up to the Access? They are both awesome rods. What weight did you go with?

I have an Orvis store across the highway from me in Dedham. I've taken the free fly tying course, did the Casting 101 clinic last weekend, doing the Casting 102 clinic on June 2. So glad I have this store so close and there is always someone there to talk fly fishing with. They turned me on to poly leaders last week and they are super.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

I had an Orvis Clearwater 5 weight for several years. One day I noticed that the lamination was starting to crack at the base. I sent it back to Orvis and received a brand new TLS Power Matrix about a week later. No cost to me. The rods have a lifetime guarantee, no matter how it gets broken. I understand that now they will charge you postage for the new rod they send you should yours be damaged. Still, a good deal.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links