As of Sept. 15, PFD's are mandatory if you are out in the canoe or kayak. $50 fine for not complying Exclamation

Sept. 15 - May 15 Required

Last edited by don51 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

Who would wanna go out without one??! For whatever reasons that's just plain stupid. Accidents can happen even to the best of us.

Stay safe MAFF

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 am

Saw my first idiot of the season yesterday. Young guy paddling a rowboat in a T-shirt and no PFD. As the temps warm up they will all begin to show up!

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:21 am

While not using a canoe or kayak, quick PFD story from last year:

With my first boat purchase ever (from a Fish & Game guy no less), on the first day up at Attitash, I was there with my family putting in. Wouldn't you know it? The EP pulled up! This is of course right after I had to pull out the boat because I forgot "the plug" (damn rookies). He didn't care about my license (which I had), just the safety equipment in the boat, which I had, including PFD's for all four of us, and the kids did have theirs on.

I never saw The EP the rest of the year in my neck of the woods. However, I do recall when I drove out West to buy my boat and subsequently register in Worcester, I've never seen so many EP, they were everywhere!

So yea, be safe all!

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 am

Had to share this from my Fishing Daily Calendar. They clearly didn't read this advice before bringing their 4 year old out on the boat.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:26 am

I have that same calendar lol

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 am

Members here do it right, but just to reiterate:
WEAR YOUR PFD

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Even if you're not going to wear it, have it with you. The Environmental Police will not let you launch without the adequate amount of pfd's to people if they are there. I've seen them first hand turn people away right at the ramp!

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Even after May 15 it is still are requirement to have it with you, yes even in a kayak! Believe me, I know! Laughing

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:24 am

Ill be 100% honest i nevet wear one when im in a canoe or kayak no matter what time of the year it is

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 am

Naughty boy Exclamation Idea

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:30 pm

kizel13

Ill be 100% honest i nevet wear one when im in a canoe or kayak no matter what time of the year it is

The new PDF's look cool and fit nice! Lots of pockets and zippers Exclamation
you should try one Very Happy

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Yea i have the fishing ones and the inflatables there comfortable but just another thing to get in the way. Idk im just stubborn

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I have to admit, I rarely wear mine though it's always in the kayak. At this point the water is 50+ deg. It really just depends on each individuals comfort level. I was fishing a couple weeks ago with another guy who flipped his kayak in 41 deg water. He gathered his floating stuff, laughed for a bit, then hopped back on after a couple min and continued fishing. Really not a big deal. I just don't like the pfd police any more than I would take kindly to someone pulling beside me and telling me to put on my seatbelt.
I'm not endorsing not wearing one, things can happen, better safe that sorry. This is ma not nh, but live free or die isn't a bad way to live.

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:14 pm

I have to admit, I rarely wear mine though it's always in the kayak. At this point the water is 50+ deg. It really just depends on each individuals comfort level. I was fishing a couple weeks ago with another guy who flipped his kayak in 41 deg water. He gathered his floating stuff, laughed for a bit, then hopped back on after a couple min and continued fishing. Really not a big deal. I just don't like the pfd police any more than I would take kindly to someone pulling beside me and telling me to put on my seatbelt.
I'm not endorsing not wearing one, things can happen, better safe that sorry. This is ma not nh, but live free or die isn't a bad way to live.

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links