Any tips on how to specifically fish for pickerel. I havent hit 1 all year, so im obviously doing something wrong. I typically use rubber worms and thats been hitting large and small mouth bass all day and night. For whatever reason im 0 for the year 2009 on landing a pickerel.

Thanks

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:20 pm

You and I seem to be having the opposite luck, haha. I fish for bass and always end up catching pickerel. i've been using spinner baits a lot: white and chartreuse bodies/skirts, and also the gray/smoke/black color too.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 pm

HaHa thats too funny. For the bass the Yamamoto worms have been unstoppable for me recently. Ill def give your recommended lures a try. Thanks man

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:05 pm

I was catching a lot of pickerel about a month ago when I was using non-standard retrieves on spinnerbaits to mix it up (when the bass weren't biting).

I'd let the lure sink to the bottom and bump it along a bit like a worm til I could feel a little open water. Then I'd reel in to the surface and pretend I was fishing a buzz bait for a few feet (reel fast enough to keep it on the surface). Then it would be a jerk bait (pause, tug tug, pause, reel, tug, pause, etc).......

The point is, I'd change it up several times in the same cast with whatever kind of lure I was using, and although the bass weren't generally interested, the pickerel loved it! I even had one chase a gulp minnow I'd done this with about 4 inches out of the water RIGHT in front of me. He hooked himself on the way back down, all I had to do was hold on, then lift the rod tip back up to pull him out of the river Very Happy

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am

I've had luck hooking them with spinners and soft swim baits

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm

I used to catch a lot of picks on the Johnson silver minnow spoon.
I did not use a trailer just the spoon.

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful. Actually landed my 1st pickerel of the season in NH on a squid lure. I was pumped!

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:18 pm

pickerels seem to love hitting jerk baits. white is a good color. or anything else that darts and slashes. spinnerbaits work well to, but pickerels mostly like to be in weeds, so a weedless lure is a better bet.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:46 pm

yeah, crank baits and jerk baits. gold is a good color. have also had luck on spoons. we caught a bunch earlier in the year. it slowed down over the summer, but we were using more bass type baits. but we almost always get pickerel when using crank baits.

Posted Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:38 am

use a top water Rapala black and gold J9 joint minnow swims killer and you will catch bass and pickerel and perch you name it!!!!one of my favorites in may catch tons of fish!!!!

Posted Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks Smoke and everyone, very helpful tips. Ive been landing pickerel at a rapid pace these days, and loving it

This is the biggest pick i have seen, caught by Valpey at the tourney, onyl if this thing counted!!

Posted Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:14 am

I know this thread is kinda old, but I thought I'd chime in abit as this year I'm going to try to specifically target pickerel, instead of just the occasional catch while fishing for largemouth...

In my mind, I would think that anything that a pike will hit, a pickerel would hit - but maybe just on a smaller scale. If you'd use a 5" Daredevle spoon for pike(for example), maybe a 3" would be good for pickerel? I know I've caught quite a few on Mepps and Roostertail spinners, which are basically scaled-down bucktails, right?

I dunno... make sense to me. I'm gonna try to mimic pike fisherman on a smaller scale. I'll post pics if/when it works out!

here's one I got last year on a spinnerbait:

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 am

Hey Napa!

For pickerel, I've always had the best luck with topwater lures retrieved at a faster pace than you normally would for say bass and the like.

However, I have caught pickerel on plastic worms when fishing is extremely slow.

Above all else, I've found that if you find the weed beds(espcially like the thin filament type weed) , you'll find the pickerel.

Posted Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I have caught many large pickerel on a large spoon with colors resembling a yellow pearch I have caught many from 1 oz to 4 IBL and you can use it any where from deep yo shallow water

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 am

just got this one the other day on the 1/4oz chartreuse spinnerbait w/ #4 nickel colorado blade - my first fish of 2010! Caught it in about 3 feet of fairly stained water on a wind-blown rocky bank.

There was abit of brush on the bank and in the water, as you can see in the picture, but no weeds that I could see... might still be too early for much weed growth. But yeah, come later spring/summer, weeds are THE key. I've seen em come blasting out of thick slop a foot deep to grab a lure.

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links