awww Sad too bad i cant go sunday with you boys... ill be busy up in maine on a trophy pike and smallie factory!!! hahahahahaha!!! have fun at the res ill be on long pond blastin big red eyes!! muskie me and mark wanna set up a river trip maybe next weekend when i am back from pike town you interested? maybe real early saturday or sunday?

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 pm

bassassin pounding the shoreline...unheard of! here comes the 4 lb. smallie.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 am

Wish I could go but ill be catching bass and blues at monomoy rips!

Don't worry I'll show the pics.
Charter boat Sunday. Fishing tournie Saturday!!!

I here a 30lbser calling my name!!!!!

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am

I'm hoping for a big smallie waiting for fed ex to bring my new baitcaster as we speak its in route to my house hopefully the chu gives it a good christening

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

Muskie, what advice would you give someone regarding getting setup to fish the Chu? In other words, what would be a good starter rod and real? What line and terminal tackle would you recommend?

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 pm

azmill - Most people are using rods that can cast 1-2 oz of sinker along big baits. (this is for trouts set up)

Bass set up, is basically same.

For you, I might say, use 6-8 feet rod with 10-15 pounds line. that basically easy set up for cast the 1-2 oz sinker/baits.

(I use ultralight 10 feet rod with 4 pound fluorocarbon line. Along with 3/4 oz sinker. for trout or bass. too light for almost everyone. but perfect set up for me.)

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 pm

What about 65lbs power pro.
Heavy action 8footer. I could toss out a 2oz weight a country mile!
Or
My 7footer medium heavy 50lbs super slick 8 I can also cast 2oz lures a country mile!!!!

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

I got my set up at dicks, nothing special or expensive. 7' Heavy action rod, reel that can hold 300 yes of 50lb braid and able to toss 1oz weights. I use same hooks as I do from senkos. Rod and reel combo cost me $20. They have work for me handling the lakers and smallies and won't break the bank.

I was in dicks the other day and they were on sale too.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Bring a canal rod and toss out a 2-4 oz lure!
Catch those monsters of the deep!!!!!

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Rods: 2 pc 8-8 ft Black Beautys Line: 50lb Power Pro Yellow with 15lb Flouro Leader. Hooks: 3/0 - 4/0 Short Shank Wide Gap Red. Weights: 2 1/2 oz Teardrop NON LEAD Boag Hog Specials ( thanks J) Bait: BIG 4 - 7 inches Unless you can get 12 - 14 inch Golden Pondiies MMMMMM

Your set up should be able to handle a small Dog, if not, heartbreak is waiting...

Last edited by muskiebigfish on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks for the setup advice.

I hear the Chu has large rainbows. Now that I've caught small ones in the pond. I would really like to tie into a big one.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Muskie can you talk more about the wind and not getting caught in a "wind tunnel". It's always been my understanding that you want the wind in your face if your fishing from shore...is this correct?

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm

scoobystas

What's the best way to fish live craws, right on the bottom or under a bobber? What do they run, dollar a piece?

You can attach a Craw to a hook by wrapping a rubber band around the Craw at the point the tail meets tbe body. You may have to wrap the band a few times. This will keep it alive longer. This is like candy to bass...it's almost like cheating. I only use it with my kids.

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 pm

I rubber banded a mouse and it bit me as I squished it in my hand. what, it hurt hahahahaha I do fish in the wind, you have to or you never get to fish, but I like it up and over my back!! hahaha In my face is ok up to 10 mph, after that, time to move. left to right from 6-9 is ok also. White Caps travel far and hard at the Res, and with so many other spots, I myself like none to less than 10mph We Fish Live/Dead Bait and It's always big, thats what's great about the Res, you can get out of the wind.

Just my opinion, I have had some great luck over the last 8 yrs!!

Posted Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 pm

bassinbrooksy

awww Sad too bad i cant go sunday with you boys... ill be busy up in maine on a trophy pike and smallie factory!!! hahahahahaha!!! have fun at the res ill be on long pond blastin big red eyes!! muskie me and mark wanna set up a river trip maybe next weekend when i am back from pike town you interested? maybe real early saturday or sunday?

Nice profile pic there brooksy Very Happy

Posted Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:57 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links