yup, a mounted Ranger has been checking licenses at Jamaica Pond lately. I had just pulled in a 1.5 lb LM over near the island when she stopped to see if I had mine with me. Which I did.

Times are getting tough.

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Do they actually have the authority Question What can he do if you didn't have one Question Could be wrong, but I don't believe they have any police powers.

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:25 am

They're considered special officers. They can write parking tickets, detain people, write tickets for things such as lack of a fishing license or drinking booze in the park, order you to leave the park premises and of course call for Police backup. They do crowd control on horseback and on foot, day and night patrols on foot and in cars.

Being special officers, if they call for police backup, they will get it as in sirens and lights.

You know that pretty horse she's sitting on? It's trained in managing drunken crowds of baseball fans. So is she. Don't be fooled. I've known a few Rangers and they take their work very seriously and so do the Boston Police.

BTW, the day before this mounted officer was checking licenses, another in an SUV was writing parking tickets along Parkman Drive

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Good to know Exclamation Didn't realize they were sworn specials Exclamation

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:40 pm

maybe that leaves some small fish for next year

as annoying i think they are i wish they would do more lic controls

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am

Has anyone noticed them checking for lead gear? I know there was a big rush to get everything out of the stores and discussion as to whether or not folks would actually switch over...just curious if anyone has seen anything. I have not, but I haven't had my licensed checked this year yet either.

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:25 am

Mass Enviormental Police have the authority to give you a hefty fine and take all your gear! Make sure you are properly liscenced in fresh and salt water. Seeing violators? call 1 800 632 8075 and report them.

Posted Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links