Went out scouting today for some ice fishing spots up in northwestern/north central Mass. First stop on the way up was Lake Wyola. Went there thinking because of the altitude etc it'd be frozen over and it was . We pulled into the parking lot, parked, and headed toward the ice to check the thickness and there it was....."DANGER..Unsafe Ice Conditions" (Notice: Nothing saying to stay off). Not a track, footprint, ice hole, etc. on the ice. We still walked out only 20 ft or so off shore just to check the thickness. It was a solid 4" of black ice plus a inch of white ice BUT it felt pretty secure.

Anyways, we left there and headed more northeast up to Baldwinville, close to the New Hampshire border. Theres a state park, Lake Denison, that we absolutely killed it in the summer and would be an awesome ice fishing spot. We pull in and see a guy, his son, and dog out on the ice plus snowmobile tracks all over the lake. So were thinking were good to go; mind you we had to bring some gear....cant just go and scout without getting a line wet! Anyways, as we walk up there's those signs again! And their all over the place! So once again we walk out like 30 to 40 ft and drill a couple holes. This time its 6 to 7" thick but the last two inches are the dreaded white ice. Note that this was on the shady side of the lake. So we walked around that area for a couple minutes BUT I wanted to check the sunnier side of the lake just to make sure it was pretty thick. So we walked over on the shore and when we got to the sunnier side you could see where the snow mobiles were breaking through the last 30 or so ft out from shore all the way to the shore. Also the edges were only like an inch thick if that!

Not feeling good about signs and what we were seeing (and the little voice inside ) we decided instead of chancing it we should just take off. NO SOONER than we start walking back to the car on the shore who do we see....the Enviro Police!....honestly how many times to u just "see" them especially pulling up to where you just were drilling holes on the ice and cars parked. . He doesnt stick around, even though i wished i could of picked his brain for a bit, turns around and leaves. No sooner than he leaves....a city cop pulls up where the EP just did, looks towards the ice, then slowly turns around and leaves! Now that little voice is def kicking in saying I think the ice is completely closed off in the state parks!

Ive heard of warnings and saw the signs but with 6 to 7" of ice?! Im suprised! Ive seen and heard of people going out on less ice than that. You guys hear anything about the state waterways being closed or banned currently? It was pretty apparent why they were there! They both pulled in on a mission! Someone must of def called in saying we were on the ice and gonna possibly be ice fishing. Gotta love it!!!! Wish they would call when they really need to!

Anyways just thought I'd give ya the ice report as well as a little food for thought...mixed in with a question. Talked with my dad and he said its the States way (the signs) of saying the ice is closed without saying the ice is closed. Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

-Matt from Chicopee

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:15 am

I highly doubt someone called them..chances are it was an odd chance happening as many ice fishermen drink lol..and I am betting they were in the area and it is part of their regular check, hoping to bag a few easy tickets. If he was called you can be sure he would have waited for you to get back to your car.

That said, they couldn't/wouldn't do anything anyone if there is no "Stay Off" sign. The state has to label all ice careful and dangerous because if someone falls through and they don't have signs they of course stand for a lawsuit, even if there was 12 inches of ice...just as the states has been putting those ice ladders by all parks with ice over the last few...

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:45 am

A lot of those signs go up early in the season and tend to remain there all season long Exclamation I've seen them still up during the summer months Exclamation Laughing If the ice is safe I would fish and if told to leave then do so.

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the input guys. I just had mixed feelings about the signs. Havent seen them in the past (about 4-5 years ago) so didnt know anything about them. First year ice fishing from being back from Florida after several years. We didnt have ice down there. Laughing

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links