I have been hunting trout for the past several weeks and I was wondering when fishing with power bait is it better to use trout trebles or a single hook?

I have been using a single hook either #10 eagle claw bait holder or a similar sized octopus hook but the fish just seem to steal the bait off these hooks.

I would prefer to use the single hooks but I just have not had much success with them so far. I want to catch the trout but I think that if I use a treble I might have "by catch" issues if I hook up with a carp or something else that I want to catch and release instead of keep.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:07 pm

you pretty much answered your own question. I have been trout fishing with single size 10 eagle claw hooks for over 20 years and have never though they have hindered my catch rate at all.

Use a running setup (egg sinker stopped by a split-shot) and just keep an eye on your line/rod tip.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Agree with Weldinghank used to use trebles but switched to size 10 singe.Use power eggs can fit 2 on perfect have no problem hooking em if you pay attention and the fish wants just like any thing else not fool proof you miss one now and then but at least if they swallow it you can still cut line and trout will have chance to live.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Ok thanks guys I guess I will persist in using the single #10 bait holders and hope for the best.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 pm

If you are going to keep all the trout you catch then by all means go treble I don't think the carp will eat the power eggs but then again they eat almost anything lol

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

badlarry

If you are going to keep all the trout you catch then by all means go treble I don't think the carp will eat the power eggs but then again they eat almost anything lol

I've seen carp take them before, they are curious and will put anything in their mouth that might be food.

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 pm

I usually keep stocked rainbows...they are good to eat. The reason I asked about the trebles is that it would suck to hook up with a carp and have it break off with a treble in its mouth.

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm

True if fish is hungry enough they will eat any thing I've caught small mouth bass off power eggs in Penobscot river in Maine and Chubs too so I would stick with single hooks if it concerns you look if the trout really wants it they will swallow the no 10 hooks even with watchful eye most of the trout I catch swallow the hook so I give them to someone else or cut line most of time I'm to lazy to clean but yeah they are good eating!

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 pm

May sound strange but I often swap out the treble on a small lure for a #10 single. Works on a 0 Mepps without a skirt or two on a tiny Rapala mid water sinker.

Posted Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm

toolemera

May sound strange but I often swap out the treble on a small lure for a #10 single. Works on a 0 Mepps without a skirt or two on a tiny Rapala mid water sinker.

They are harder to find but you can get hooks designed for that, to use on lures instead of trebles. Makes catch and release much easier on all fish. They have a design fit for the task and wider eyes etc... These for instance

That said I use a size 8 straight shank hook and have never had issues with trout. One thing I have noticed that helps me out is I cover the hook and form a ball with the power bait, then I slightly push the hook tip out, squeeze the bait ball near the eye of the hook and make a few twisting motions slightly twisting the top of the bait ball up the eye and line a bit..now it is more like a tear drop shape and well secure with just a small point of the hook out for quick hook ups.

Incidentally this is the same method I use for dough balls for carp when fishing floats or chasing very finicky fish. The method can also be helpful when surface fishing bread. You pierce the bread through with the hook, turn the hook and bring it back securing the bread. Then for added strength pinch the bit near the eye and give it the same twist or two to lock it in.

I know that is a bit late in response but hopefully it helps for the future!

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 am

This weekend I finally got a look at just how small size 16 treble hooks areā€¦.these hooks are small enough to gut hook a bluegill! Even though I intend to keep and consume the trout that I catch, I just can't justify using trebles to catch them.

@Blackstone

Do you use a size 8 crappie hook or a shorter shanked size 8 hook?

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 am

I use a shorter shank hook. I found these a while back and to be honest I like them a lot. They are slightly thicker gauge, which seems to hold the power bait better. The shape is great and I've had some great fish this spring using this with a camo'd split or tungstun putty about 1-2 inches behind the hook followed by a second split about 1 foot back to keep my line on the bottom.

http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks for the info. I will have to see if I can order those on-line.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I found some before at the one dicks in Worcester..dunno if they still have any around.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Do you know if there is any significant difference between the troutbeads hooks and the gamakatsu C14S hooks? They look the same to me...in fact I think the troutbeads hooks might just be repackaged and rebranded gamakatsu C14S hooks.

Posted Fri May 11, 2012 4:50 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links