Here's the signup for the next Kayak Tourney. I won't be there so kenwood will be running things. He'll post location and parking details.

Date: Saturday, June 13
Arrival: 6:00 AM
Launch: 6:30 AM
Weigh-in: 12 noon
Entry fee: $20
Payout: $100 first place, $50 second place, $30 third place, $20 lunker bass (assuming 10 participants)

Kayak Tourney Schedule and Rules are found at: http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/2015-kayak-canoe-tournament-schedule-and-rules-t12350.html

To enter, simply post "I'm in" or something to that effect.

1. purpleturkey
2. brownie
3. jacobageller
4. kenwood
5. paulreed
6. chowda66
7. lifted
8. z_wick117
9. bannon2002
10.bannon2002's brother
11.basshunter36
12.basshunter36's friend
13.tastyramen

Last edited by tomp on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 11 times in total

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm in... Thanks Tom Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm in

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm in!

Posted Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

My father and I are in, Tom.

So the pond we'll be launching at has no official name. My father called it Stump Pond, so that's what I call it. I've been fishing it since I was a kid. It's a great little pond. My PB (in my profile pic) comes from this place. My father caught a 7.1 there two years ago.

I figure we'll launch from the bog area instead of Robbins Pond, which you can fish if you want. Stump Pond is weedy, lots of stumps, heavy cover, two small river inlets, while Robbins is more open water, far less weeds, etc.

If you want to fish Robbins, you can either launch in Stump and hop the dirt road to get to Robbins or launch directly from Robbins, though it's about a quarter mile walk from where we'll be parked. Bring wheels if you have them either way. It's easiest to launch by the main part of Stump, which is a short distance away, rather than the cove we park next to (it drops off pretty quickly and can be tough getting in/out of the yak).

If you want, there is also a smaller bog pond you can fish by hopping another dirt road, though accessing it is rather messy (gets a bit muddy/sloppy back there).

Anyway, access is off route 106 in Halifax, 2119 Plymouth Street (or thereabouts). There are two gates: the one to the left of the bog is locked, but the one to the right, directly across from the 106 Mini Market, is open. Enter there and park near the concrete barrier near the water's edge.

If you're going to fish Stump Pond, plan accordingly. Braid, frogs, grips for pickerel (there are some big ones), etc. There is a good amount of open water in the middle of the pond, but this is the best stuff right here (though with the long winter it's probably not as weedy now):

That should cover it, I think (it's probably way more info than necessary as it is). If folks fish Robbins as well we should have plenty of room for 10 or more. =)

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:37 am

Kenwood have you been there yet this year, how is the dirt road getting in??? I haven't been down there since 2013. Definetely a tough pond to fish but I've caught and seen some Hawgs caught there !!! I call this place The Pond With No Name.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:38 am

I'm going to be away that weekend and im not happy about it... I love this place. I call it the backside of robbins lol.. everyone has their own name. Should be a good tourny. Goodluck.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

purpleturkey

Kenwood have you been there yet this year, how is the dirt road getting in??? I haven't been down there since 2013. Definetely a tough pond to fish but I've caught and seen some Hawgs caught there !!! I call this place The Pond With No Name.

I was there a few weeks ago and the road was fine, solid. If we get a lot of rain that might cause an issue, but the front there doesn't get too muddy, not as much as the area near that construction company or whatever.

I will scope things out before the tourney and see how it looks.

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:45 am

I'm in

Posted Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Kenwood,

So I've heard that there hidden stumps in Stump Pond (duh) and that even hard kayaks can get caught on them. I have an inflatable kayak, so hitting a stump is extra risky as it could be punctured -- do you think I should play it safe, avoid Stump entirely and fish Robbins, or is there enough open water/access that it's safe to bring an inflatable into Stump (for a little while anyway)?

If you'd like to leave this up to me in the spirit of competition, I understand, but thought I'd ask anyway because who wants to beat some dummy who popped his yak on a hidden stump? Razz

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 am

Just my 2 cents but I've canoed,crawdaded,ramX proed and kayaked there many many times the last 25 years and have never gotten hung up on a stump....but that decision is up to you.

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm

There are definitely hidden stumps. I've never gotten caught on one, but I've gone over plenty and had just as many stop me and force me to go around. I don't know how tough an inflatable is. I'd probably be more worried about all my hooks. Haha.

There is plenty of open water, though. The right third of the pond and shoreline is really where most of the danger would be for you. Out in the middle, from basically where it narrows on the right all the way to the left by Robbins, should be safe enough. I'm sure there are stumps, but it's relatively deep out there so I've never hit or even seen them. (I'd be interested to know what is out there, though.)

The water was still high the last time I was there, so if it's still high you could probably venture farther into that right third of the pond without issue.

Robbins would be perfectly safe, though. =)

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks Ken and Purple.

I think I'll dip in there for a bit, but won't push my luck. (And will watch my hooks of course. Wink )

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 am

Im in!

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:11 am

I yak fished there a few times last year and found it to be way off from previous years. Has anyone done well there this year? The place would seem ripe for having had a major fish kill from this past winter.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:47 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links