So I just bought my first fishing kayak. I have always wanted to give
Kayak fishing a shot.

Does anyone have any good tips???

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

welcome to the club man, yak fishing is great. tips about what? if you are specific, people will definitely help you out

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 am

Check out: www.newenglandkayakfishing.com It's kind of a learn as you go process. If you do not wear a PFD be sure you have one with you. It's a MA Reg. Wink

Last edited by don51 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:43 am

I'm taking it out tomorrow for the first time. I guess I'll have a better idea of what tips i need! Ive been fishing for bass for years and just recently got into kayaking so I figured it was time to put the 2 together!

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:13 pm

It takes a little adjusting being so low on the water, i noticed that setting the hook felt different. The wind can be an issue and its supposed to be pretty windy today but you can find coves that stay pretty calm. Kayak fishing is great, good luck today!

Posted Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:39 am

Kayakfishing is a Great way to get to all those places no one else can. Think safety leash everything, Leash it or loose it. no one wants to flip But it could happen. So if you prepare for the worst if it happens the out come will be less costly. It is a helpless feeling to drop your fishing rod or pliers and watch them disapear. Costly oops.
In the wind I look for more protective fishing places like smaller ponds less open coves and rivers. Hookup an anchor trolly to help control your kayak in the wind. Use the wind to set up a drift I put one leg out in the water to slow it down. You will grow to love the peace and quiet of remote ponds and rivers see more nature catch more fish. Good Luck and welcome. And I second the newenglandkayakfishing site. Very helpfull great group.

Posted Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:51 am

pack less tackle! ill pack a few lures of what i plan on using for the day!

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:19 am

Bobsdream made great points.... Lanyards save gear,I flipped over once and lost nothing! Anchor Trolley is a must,you may not use it every trip but the 1st time you do you'll be happy you have it(easy n cheap to make too) This is my 7th year yak fishing and I still take way too much gear with me, I'ts hard to get out of the Bring Everything mindset,lol

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 am

purpleturkey

Bobsdream made great points.... Lanyards save gear,I flipped over once and lost nothing! Anchor Trolley is a must,you may not use it every trip but the 1st time you do you'll be happy you have it(easy n cheap to make too) This is my 7th year yak fishing and I still take way too much gear with me, I'ts hard to get out of the Bring Everything mindset,lol

Got that right.... everytime I go out, I tell myself that next time I am going to lighten the load. Next time comes and my kayak still looks like a Russian Spy Trawler with multiple antennas.... I carry to many lures/baits, too many rods and reels, a stake out pole, an anchor and a spare paddle.... I know I don't need all that stuff, but it's nice to have it when the need arises.
Anchor trolley is a must - but team that up with an 8 ft stake-out pole and you have got a great tool. Tether it with a 10 foot piece of 550 cord and you have a harpoon that will keep you anchored in 10 to 15 feet of water. Don't buy one, make one - it is so much cheaper.... I never leave home without mine. It's great for using as a push pole too.... beats bending paddle blades.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 pm

I just went out yak fishing my first time the other day, and I definitely noticed that my kayak which I bought from Dick's is nice but not the best for fishing. I have such little storage I might have to invest in a slightly higher end anglers yak. It was still fun tho!

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:13 pm

brenttheviking

I just went out yak fishing my first time the other day, and I definitely noticed that my kayak which I bought from Dick's is nice but not the best for fishing. I have such little storage I might have to invest in a slightly higher end anglers yak. It was still fun tho!

Great post for new buyers! Lesson learned. I was lucky enough to use kayaks like yours on vacation, I knew then they were great to get me out on the water but if I was going to buy one I needed to save another $200 more and get a fishing kayak or at least one that you can add the accessories yourself later. Definitely need a rod and D&D holder and some place to put your tackle!

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:26 pm

brenttheviking

One thing about them - you can always modify!! - Rod holders, anchor trolley, fish finders, all kinds of neat stuff. Whatever you buy to modify can be transferred to a different kayak when you feel like upgrading. Enjoy the hell out of it!!

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Don't pay the price for an angler model! It is easy and much cheaper to do the add ons yourself.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:44 pm

I use a non-angler sit-in kayak and here's what I've found I need:

Foam stadium seat cushion from Dick's to keep the sensation in my feet
Paddle leash (I tried to leash my rod, but feel like I can't cast right with it so I do without and hope for the best)
Two rods at most, one rigged for topwater or weedless, the other rigged for deeper
Rod holder, clip-on type that's removable
Plastic gear box with lid, small enough to fit between my feet but deep enough for spinnerbaits, etc. and to hold the fishing license Smile
"Catch and release" type of fishnet with plastic netting so the hook doesn't get tangled up in the netting
Big car sponge to get water out of the kayak
Hatch cover for the kayak
Polarized sunglasses to see where the weeds/structure is and to keep my eyes protected in case a lure flies back in my direction after a hangup
Water shoes
Self-inflating PFD from Cabelas with a zipper for my car key
Needle nose pliers and small scissors that I tuck under my seat cushion
Waterproof case for the cell phone, preferably tethered somewhere
Sometimes I take a safety whistle or air horn if I'm going somewhere with a lot of powerboats or if I'm somewhere isolated and/or the water is cold

Still don't have an anchor and trolley system, very much need to get one soon. Probably should get a drybag for a jacket.

Don't take chances leaning over the side of the kayak and you shouldn't capsize.

The biggest pain is the wind and boat wakes. I had some idiot on lake Bomoseen this past week buzz me within 10 feet multiple times with his jet ski, wanted to throw a well-timed cast with my crankbait in his direction Wink

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:38 pm

What does everyone do with their paddle? That was my biggest complaint while fishing was where to put my paddle. I had to re-adjust the kayak multiple times from wind but I was constantly breaking my paddle apart and setting both ends into the straps in my bow, but it was a pain in the ass.

FYI, Billington Sea Kayaks is having a 20% off sale on their fishing kayaks made by Feelfree. Anyone know anything about these kayaks? They look nice.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:10 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links