I was curious if there were different methods on weighing the fish besides under the Gill.....and what the best digital scale brand is

Last year, and even this year so far we have caught some absolute PIGS, and for whatever reason, they arent weighing anything close to what we thought

Granted the excitment and human eye automatically add a Pound or so...im aware of that but

unless 90% of people are full of sh** when they tell there fish weights...which they probably are, something is wrong with our scale or method...I mean some Fish in BassMaster Mags are said to be 7lbs 6oz...when they look like they would weigh 2.8...anyways

We have a nice digital scale thats about a year old, we have weighed a 5lb weight with it and it works....supposedly

Im no rookie, and understand to catch a 7lber, its a friggin MONSTER...but i cannot believe some fish we have pulled out are weighing only 4.11 and not 5.5 or even 6 or 7

Just curious....

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am

Yea Ive tested my Rapala digital scales, and they read very accurate, within 1oz. As long as you check it a couple times a year, you will know its reading accurate or not.

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:42 pm

while certainly not as accurate as a scale, I posted a thing from the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife for estimating the weight of largemouth bass here:

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/estimating-weight-of-largemouth-bass-t2644.html

*If anybody knows how to contact a moderator, I think it would be good to sticky that at the top of the bass forum page.

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

napa

I was curious if there were different methods on weighing the fish besides under the Gill.....and what the best digital scale brand is

Last year, and even this year so far we have caught some absolute PIGS, and for whatever reason, they arent weighing anything close to what we thought

Granted the excitment and human eye automatically add a Pound or so...im aware of that but

unless 90% of people are full of sh** when they tell there fish weights...which they probably are, something is wrong with our scale or method...I mean some Fish in BassMaster Mags are said to be 7lbs 6oz...when they look like they would weigh 2.8...anyways

We have a nice digital scale thats about a year old, we have weighed a 5lb weight with it and it works....supposedly

Im no rookie, and understand to catch a 7lber, its a friggin MONSTER...but i cannot believe some fish we have pulled out are weighing only 4.11 and not 5.5 or even 6 or 7

Just curious....

Just test your scale with a known weight, if its accurate then trust it on your fish. I think most people are not full of **** as much as they just dont know how to gauge weights by eye. It takes alot of fish to make a 5 pounder. Go over to the charliemoore.com and look at the pics posted in the 5 lb club. There are people calling 2 lbs 6 lbs etc. People just are not good at guessing weights and some question there scales when in reality the scale is most likely accurate.

The pic on the tackle box in my profile pic..any guesses what it weighs ?

also a good way to weigh fish is just throw it in a plastic bag and hang the bag from the scale. Its safer for the fish as well, I cant tell u how many times I've seen some nice bass get slammed on the ground falling off peoples scales.

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

thanks gentlemen

id say, not seeing it in front of me that fish is 4.6

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Tony, Im a moderator...my issue with putting a sticky on that is that is not accurate for Massachusetts. Massachusett fish are not as big as Texas fish. I think its a good thing to get an idea of how big it could be, but its really just a scaled guess. Just my opinion though. Feel free to message me if you want to discuss it some more.

Thanks,
-John

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm

napa

thanks gentlemen

id say, not seeing it in front of me that fish is 4.6

good guess, its 4 10 a nice fish by Ma standards but the point is people catch fish like that and instantly call it 7 lbs.

4 and 5 lb fish get bigger the more you stare at them and they seem like they could be 6 but when the scale says 4.5 we get disappointed.

I dont believe in the length girth = weight formulas at all. I have tested them and they are not accurate. Never mind State to state but pond to pond lake to lake fish weights vary. I catch fish in swift rivers that definitly weigh more than the same size fish from calm ponds.

What reason would a bass fisherman need to use a formula to get the fishes weight ? I dont get it. You can get a digital scale for 7 bucks at kmart or walmart. Down in Florida guys use the length girth measurments for Tarpon and that makes sense. Usualy its to determine if the fish broke 100 lbs. Its not always convenient to drag a 100 lb fish on the boat and weigh it. They lean over the boat and 2 guys usualy get the length and the girth and they come up with an approximate weight.

Like Johny said who cares a hog is a hog, but if you want to know your personel best a scale is the only weigh to go.

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Very true people are off with weights a lot but also bad pics make a fish look small to.Chucks 7lber was huge pics dont do the fish justice every time but the berkley or rapala digitals for $20 are accurate!!!!

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 pm

smokecity

Very true people are off with weights a lot but also bad pics make a fish look small to.Chucks 7lber was huge pics dont do the fish justice every time but the berkley or rapala digitals for $20 are accurate!!!!

thats why I hate pics of big bass. Chucks 7 does not look 7 but it was weighed in front of a group trying to beat him. Johnnys 4 looks bigger in his pic from the same tourny.

Posted Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:30 pm

kman

smokecity

thats why I hate pics of big bass. Chucks 7 does not look 7 but it was weighed in front of a group trying to beat him. Johnnys 4 looks bigger in his pic from the same tourny.

I was there for the BEAST!! I agree that people pull out and are like DAM!!. That s cause they dont catch much.. I have seen some nice fat 3-4 lbs and when tossed on the scale people say its off. Thats cause they are not sun fish.. haha. Tomorrow I land a nice 3-6 lb pickerel just to test my scale

Posted Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:36 pm

The pic below was my best largie (so far Wink ), also not a very good pic. I just purchased a scale from BPS. Its not digital (the cheapest one they had $5).

When I hooked the fish a fellow fisherman help me land the fish (I didn't have net). So, he weights it with his scale which read 5.5lbs.
Mine read 5lbs. It looked a lot bigger to me, didn't want to let go!
I hadn't tested my scale so, I kept thinking what if its bigger? Possibly a pin fish? I let go anyway.

When I got home I weighed a 5lbs bag of sugar & it was dead on!
So, I think as long as you check you scale digital or not. You'll never have to guess.

Posted Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links