you get to the lake/stream/pond for some bucketmouth action - what is the FIRST lure you throw?

for me, it's a spinnerbait.

They flat out catch fish nearly all year long and it's a GREAT search bait for finding the active feeders. I've got alot of confidence in it, and my biggest largemouth ever (6lbs) came on a chartreuse spinnerbait with chartreuse-colored double-willow blades in 1994 at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City.

While I'll use whatever it takes to catch em that day, when I arrive at the water, it's my #1 bait tied on 99.9% of the time.

(a nice spinnerbait bass caught & released at Lake Sabbatia in Taunton, MA in 2009)

Posted Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Tony it's like you were in my head when you wrote that.
I have one tied on one of my rods all day long, even in between bait changes i grab that and throw it.

Posted Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 am

This is a good topic. I dont have one lure/bait that I will start with all year round. I guess it depends on weather/time of year, etc.
For example, the last 3 weeks, Ive been starting with a jig, or a hard jerkbait. As it gets warmer the senko, spinnerbait and tube will work into the 1st choices probably. I try to stay versatile.

Posted Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am

KVD winning the Classic in 48° water(!) on a rattlebait has made me be more open to fishing "fast" lures in colder water. Not necessarily fishing em fast per se, but normally, I wouldn't even try a rattlebait until the water was waaaay warmer than that! Idea

There's always more to learn, or new ways to approach a situation that you might not have thought of before - that's what makes fishing so much fun! It's a never-ending challenge.

Posted Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 am

meat7gtk

This is a good topic. I dont have one lure/bait that I will start with all year round. I guess it depends on weather/time of year, etc.
For example, the last 3 weeks, Ive been starting with a jig, or a hard jerkbait. As it gets warmer the senko, spinnerbait and tube will work into the 1st choices probably. I try to stay versatile.

Same here. If I'm out early I'll throw a top-water if i can. Then it all depends on the situation and the fish. Sometimes they never let me know what to throw! Like last week. I threw a trap,jerk-bait,jig,spinner-bait etc. I caught 1 fish and lost 1 fish.
Good luck guys it's always a challenge and fun.

Posted Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 am

went out for the first time this year yesterday - started with my usual 1/4 oz chartreuse spinnerbait w/ #4 nickel colorado blade... the wind was high so the water was fairly stirred up, so I went with the brighter chartreuse rather than white. I didn't get any bass, but I did get a pickerel about 20 minutes into the trip, which was only about an hour or so.

I also threw a blue back/firetiger Rat-L-Trap and a black/chartreuse jig-n-pig, but got no other bites.

First trip of 2010 and I didn't get skunked - the spinnerbait pays off again!

Posted Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links