Just trying to get this forum going! This is the best place to share info an talk a little B.S. with each other.

So what your favorite fish to catch and why do you enjoy catching them? Salt or Fresh doesn't matter?

I think we all know what my favorite is. SMALLMOUTH!!!. I have to say the first reason I love catching smallies is the fight. If you havn't ever caught a smallie in the 3 1/2 - 4lb range or bigger it really hard to see where i'm coming from. They fight from the minute you hook into them till the last crank of your reel. Ive had many come almost all the way to the boat just to turn away an fight for another 3 to 5 min. Especially if you catch them in deep water. They will dive 20 ft down just to turn around an come out of the water like a missle. They can peel line like a hot knife thru butter. I love catching big largemouth but i'm telling you that once u hook into a big smallie ull never compare the fight again. Second would have to be that you have to use alot more finesse and really know how to fish structure such as drop offs humps in the middle of a lake or pond, rocks an flats before it gets warm. An you got to totally reverse your thinking when it comes to fishing smallies intead of largemouth. There not sitting in pads or under overhangs on the shoreline They like thin grass beds , but in deeper water like 20ft deep or higher. So lets hear it whats your favorite?

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Ya Mikey I have to agree w/ you. Smallies are by far the best freshwater fight for this area. Largemouth are fun to catch but to hook on to a nice 4lb smalmouth, it's a great fight. I would say stripers but I don't fish for them. So yes smallies are were it's at...

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Freshwater I gotta go with Largemouth because thats the biggest Bass Ive caught so far. I cant wait to land a nice Smallie.

Saltwater I love catching Striper. I havent caught a keeper yet (28in) but the 25in I caught last year give a nice fight. I wouldnt mind a Bluefish at some point, they put up a nasty fight Ive heard.

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 pm

meat7gtk

I wouldnt mind a Bluefish at some point, they put up a nasty fight Ive heard.

I've caught a few before. They do fight like a bastard.

Posted Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:42 pm

One day I went fishin' with some friends of mine to a small pond in Sandwich, MA. The name of the pond is Spectacle.
My friends told me that we were going there for Sally's. They told me the species have red eyes. I thought they were joshin' me.

Anyhow, we were fishin' shiners and we must have ended up catchin' 20 smallies, with red eyes! Not too big, maybe the biggest one was three pounds. Wow, what a fight for a fish that size !

Later in the fall, I took my father-in-law to that same pond, as it turns out, they stock trout, and we trolled and caught a few rainbow. What a beautiful pond BTW.

I'll never forget that day of the red-eyed sally's though.

As far as my favorite fish to catch, I really can't say. I caught a 32 inch striper down the canal, back when we could use herring. That's the only time a fish burnt up my gears, although it was a cheap reel.

Watching a large blue , 80 yards out, dancing on the waves as your cranking him in, is a sight to behold. Then when you bring him in the boat, you're the one dancing , 'cause you don't want to get bit on the instep of your foot by him, 'cause you'll bleed like a pig. Woe to the drunkin' mate that gets his fingers near the mouth of a full grown blue.

I love cathing all fish.

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:24 am

I'd definitely have to say that my favorite fish to catch would be Carp! Whether it's a Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Grass Carp or evn a Koi they put up a nasty fight. They're also the biggest Freswater fish anywhere in the area. It can be tricky getting a Carp to bite your bait but when you do and set the hook...... Look out! I've fought Carp for up to 30 minutes in the past where they just wouldn't give up! If you're looking for the toughest fight you can get from any freshwater fish in MA/NH, The Carp is by far the way to. Sally's put up a fight for their size but it's so easy to land them. Carp will literally keep your rod bent and ready to break the entire fight!

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah as you can guess by my posts and pics it is Carp for me.

I have loved many a fish in my years, from pan fishing as a kid waist deep in a creek looking for fallen trees to silently stalking weed beds hoping for a large muskie to snap at my plug...I've been around a bit and still no matter what I do I come back to carp.

I remember sitting on a small pond when I was 9 years old with my lil push button zebco hitting up sunnies all day long. I noticed these huge shadows in the distance and I threw everything I could at them, all they ever did was run away from my lines.

Later on that day when I was getting ready to head home I saw an old man come down with a pole and a can of corn. He tossed some corn out and then his line..I stood round and watched a bit, the shadows I had seen earlier started getting closer and closer..and sure enough ZZZZZZZZZZ, his line started peeling off and his rod bent in half. I couldn't believe my eyes, the biggest fish I had ever seen was swirling and splashing...taking line like nobodies business.

Eventually he landed it and put it on a chain stringer. I swear this fish was as big as I was. I went over and asked what it was and he said , "Carp. I ain' got much use fer em but my cats luv em." And that was it, I was hooked, no pun intended.

I fished that pond quite a bit when I was young and snapped line off, lost a few poles and broke some others before I really got the hang of it. Some of my biggest fish came out of that little pond in Pennsylvania..in fact I went back once when I was in my 20's and caught one of only two 30+ pound carp I have ever caught.

Anyway, I am rambling a bit but you get the idea...

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm

freshwater I'd say smallmouth and largemouth. saltwater, it's tautog, black sea bass, and scup.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:19 am

Ya know what's a lot of fun? Use a ultra light rod and reel and 2 lb test and target huge pan fish! I have fought some white perch that pulled like a bull on this rig. And it sheds a whole new light on a pound an a half bass!!!

This is a massive 5 lb. Georgia Giant sunfish !!!
It measured 15" long, 3 1/2 " thick, and 12" tall !

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:21 pm

dam that is one huge arse sun fish.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Before this year my answer would have been a no brainer, Large Mouth. But this year i have caught a ton of Smallies, and they fight like no other. Always putting on a show, jumping and fighting like crazy. Certainly a fun fish to catch.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 am

bedlem

I fished that pond quite a bit when I was young and snapped line off, lost a few poles and broke some others before I really got the hang of it. .

The last time I fished for carp, my buddy and I were at the Mohawk River in NY, and we started a driftwood fire on this log, that turned out to be hollow, so after about an hour (and several beers), fire started shooting out of both sides of the 10' log. It was wild. Anyways, we were so pumped on the tube fire that i stopped paying attention to my rod, so when it started to take a swim in the murky water around dusk, I was too late. 80$ later I learned to get rod holders, haha. haven't been carp fishing since then, but wouldn't mind going again, it was usually a good time.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links