Has anyone had any luck with bluefish this season? It's now August and they're still far and few between.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:32 am

I honestly haven't been after any this year..but last year I couldn't find em all that much and finally round august or so gave up and went much farther inland to some of the estuaries round Buzzards bay in the South Dartmouth and Fairhaven areas. Low and Behold there were pogies everywhere and where there are pogies there be blues trying to eat em, and there was. Some of my best fishing last year was floating my canoe around snagging pogies on one pole and switching them whole to my other pole, slicing their tails to make em bleed and flail then holding on for the ride to come!

So my advice would be try a place that is much farther inland and see what is around. I can't honestly explain why they were there last year but they were. If this is crap advice , I apologize ahead of time..my saltwater experience is quite limited.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Yeah, they normally start gravitating further inland in July and August but it's been a very slow year thus far. There is an annual bluefish derby on Martha's Vineyard in October. Hopefully they'll be larger numbers by then.

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links