I'm looking to take my 5 year old daughter fishing this weekend. I took her to Cleveland Pond last week and the fish weren't biting. That's a hit or miss spot.

Does anyone know of any good spots? I'm thinking a small pond that's regularly stocked would be ideal but I don't know of any off the top of my head. Any place where she could land her first fish before getting too antsy/inpatient would work for me.

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

it's still pretty early for fast action, which is best for kids - I'd probably wait a month... small bobbers and mealworms will ensure lots of sunfish bites in shallow water once it warms up abit more.

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Bluegills and other small fish have been going nuts in the canal right now. I don't think it is too early for instant action..but it will take more work.

I'd suggest using small hooks with bits of night crawler. Take some oats/breadcrumb and scatter it around anywhere you think small fish are hanging out. Round docks/bridges etc ..should get em boiling, then just toss a bobber with a bit of crawler and you should be on.

5 is a hard age though. Always sounds good but, like you said if it is slow then they get bored easy.

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, you have a point about the weather/time of the year. The cold weather isn't too conducive to fast action. I went out to Holbart's Pond which is a great pond to take kids(lots of blue gills) this morning and there were no bites.

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am

I don't know where you're located, but try Ell Pond in Melrose. Tons of fish in there. Sunnies, Bluegills, Perch and bass also. It's right on Main st. in Melrose near the hospital and park in the parking lot across the street from the hospital between the two soccer fields. Tons of fish on that side and very easy access. Have fun.

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 am

The pond at Menotomy Rocks Park in Arlington. Took my 4-year-old there last summer, hit a little bass every time, it was insane. I've heard there are one or two big ones in there, too.

Posted Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links