Has anyone fished Whitman's Pond in Weymouth (from a boat) in the past few months? Thought I might hit it this weekend with canoe.

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Haven't been over there recently but heard that it is pretty weeded up. Supposed to be some nice fish in there though Exclamation

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm

fished it a couple times, most recently 3 weeks ago. very weeded up in some areas. I've never been able to find big bass in there. mostly around 1 lb. I have tried just about everywhere in the pond.

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks guys. Just need to decide on a spot before Sunday morning.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I do weel with frogs in the pads right to the right of the launch area. Docks can be real good as well as the rocky area at the far end of the pond. Hit the culvert going under 53 and any wood near it. It can be a good buzzbait pond under low light conditions

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Agree with Mr. Stratos but as some one who has fished since he was 16 I can tell you it has big fish but can fish tough. A canoe on a Sat or Sun depending on the launch time can be like being on a bike at Bristol Motor Speedway. Be safe and stick to the coves and areas supported by rock cover that the motor boats can't venture to.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 pm

stratos1966

I do weel with frogs in the pads right to the right of the launch area. Docks can be real good as well as the rocky area at the far end of the pond. Hit the culvert going under 53 and any wood near it. It can be a good buzzbait pond under low light conditions

Dam Stratos you have a lot of knowledge of a lot of places!!

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks Bro. Been hardcore bass fishing 25 years. Been to a lot of places. I lived across the street from Whitmans for 2 years back in my early 20s.
Feferencing the thread about cold water fishing. Whitmans is a good pond for that especially the whole cove where the launch is. I remember one early March. day. The pond just iced out like 3 days prior. I threw a jerkbait from shore in that cove and caught 10 bass in about an hour. Most were like a pound to a pound and a half but I got one that was 4+ and another that was 3+

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:20 pm

hit it from shore this morning for about an hour before work. nothing doing along middle st. ran out of time before I could manage any fish. thinking I might take the canoe out there tomorrow or thursday evening.

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Didn't get out there this weekend myself. Ended up hitting a small pond in Holbrook. My son wanted to go there because he can catch tons of panfish from the canoe (he caught 17 perch/crappie/sunfish is under 2 hours...wouldn't stop rubbing it in). Needless to say this Sunday is out..think the water might be "choppy". Maybe the following weekend.

Posted Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 pm

hit it yesterday, found one from shore near the restaurant. was going to come back later with the canoe but ended up taking the dogs out for a long walk. probably go after work one night this week if I can get the powerhead on my ocean boat back together.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Might try to get out there this weekend. Have to take a look at the weather closer to the weekend and see what day looks best.

Posted Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm from Weymouth. Ive never used a boat to fish on the whitman. The pond is stocked once a year if ya lucky. It's very mucky and weedy. There are some descent spots to fish from on land. Once in a while you can pull a nice fish. Rather than that all crappie/sunnies for the most part.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links