In excited for ice fishing this year. Obviously last year was horrible. Only got out a couple times in New Hampshire. With a ton of small perch.
I'm itching to get out down here. Finding new ponds to fish. I realy only fish 2

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 am

Not a fan of ice fishing. I'm hoping we have the same winter as last year. I open water fished every month except January.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 am

Me too, if I want to ice fish I go to Maine. My last bass of 2011 was on Dec 28 and the first bass of 2012 was on Jan 4. With one of my better days of the year happening right after the superbowl.

But being a weather geek it looks like we are not going to get the same jet stream that we had last winter, so I am not expecting to find open water in January again.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am

stratos1966

Not a fan of ice fishing. I'm hoping we have the same winter as last year. I open water fished every month except January.

I'm with you. Me no likey ice. However this is the first year that I've fished past October. I plan to fish until there's ice or I turn to ice

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 am

My last bass came December 1st 2011
My 1st bass came feb 3rd
I caught a ton of pickerel in the winter
But I do love finding a school of panfish. Or catching a couple bass pickerel and trout threw the ice.
Also the snow keeps the beer cold A+++++++++++ in my book🍺

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 pm

No ice is nice Exclamation My first 4 bass of the year came on Jan. 2 on a Husky Jerk in open water Exclamation Temp. was 44.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Not a fan of ice . Ive found my boat doesnt run very well on top of it, and I have to change my trolling motor to a razor sharp stainless prop to cut through the ice when its more that 6 inches thick...

I was gonna ask Rich if ice is considered heavy cover and if so do you think I can punch through it with a 1.5 oz tungsten???

The slammer however seems as though it would glide nicely over the ice.... maybe Ill fish that

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:58 pm

you need a 1.5 pound tungsten to punch ice

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm

shawneramone

you need a 1.5 pound tungsten to punch ice

Ill have to have Mr Boag Hog Jay make me up one of them!!

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

must be nice to have your own lure maker

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm

shawneramone

must be nice to have your own lure

maker

Sure is !

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm

shawneramone

must be nice to have your own lure

maker

Sure is !

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 pm

sinista

Not a fan of ice . Ive found my boat doesnt run very well on top of it, and I have to change my trolling motor to a razor sharp stainless prop to cut through the ice when its more that 6 inches thick...

I was gonna ask Rich if ice is considered heavy cover and if so do you think I can punch through it with a 1.5 oz tungsten???

The slammer however seems as though it would glide nicely over the ice.... maybe Ill fish that

Ice is hard cover haha. That's funny. You need a big boat to break the Ice like they do for harbors in the salt.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:27 pm

sinista

There is a video out there of 2 guys on a river in Conn in the dead of winter punching through thin ice and catching schoolie stripers on almost every cast.

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am

Last year I was ready by the end of October and look what happened. This year I'm not opening my chest of gear till Xmas. Hopefully the ice gods will be with us this year.

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links