Today wraps up the 2014 MAFF Kayak Tournament Series. We had some great showings and some tough days as well.

I will be happy to organize next year's Tourney trail but plan to make some changes, particularly in the number of Tournaments. Seems that interest is high at the beginning of the season and understandably tapers off during the summer with vacations, etc. My plan is to start the season with 2 Tourneys per month as we've done for the past few years and cut it to 1 a month for at least July and August. Perhaps we'll do 2 in September and maybe even October.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask for some location suggestions from those who have either fished at least one Kayak Tourney or sincerely plan to next year. Please suggest one place you would like to fish next year. It can be one we've already fished before or a new place. Ideally, the location would have some parking and not too much big boat traffic. Don't say Ponky as that is a given, probably as the first tourney of the year.

Thanks!

Posted Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Nice job managing the 2014 season Tom. Your experience is consistent with my own; interest is strong during early season and then wanes considerably during the summer months. I think your plan to limit high summer tourneys is a good one. Hope to participate in a few more next year.

Posted Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 am

Great job this year, Tom. I had a lot of fun.

As for a recommendation for next year, how about Norton Reservoir.

Posted Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:36 am

Canton Res, a/k/a Reservoir Pond, just down the street from Ponky, might be a good location. I understand they opened up a parking area in a field just off of the pond, so no more street parking. There are definitely fish in that place and it's as big as Ponky. I will scope out and report back.

Also, in the area of Norton Res, there are also Lake Sabbatia, Nippenicket, and Winnecunnet.

Posted Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm

I'll second Canton Res. Good little fishery. The Nip is good, too. I hate Sabbatia. I should do well there, as it's my kind of fishery, but I struggle big time. I've done better at Winnecunnet, which flows into Sabbatia. Go figure. It gets severely choked up in the summer, though. Probably 80% of the lake is choked with thick weed. It sucks.

Speaking of Winnecunnet, supposedly a 10+ was pulled from there a few years ago. I saw the pic and it was definitely that big. Whether or not it actually came from that lake, I don't know, but that's what I've heard.

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:00 am

Tom, Thanks for all of your hard work this year. Although I was only able to get to three tournaments this year, I had a lot of fun. One place that would probably be new to a lot of guys is Nabnasset Lake in Westford. It has decent 3 to 4 pounders. The parking area is located off Williams Street. It is a town beach and playground area with a huge parking lot. I've never had an issue with parking. There can be some boat traffic in summer months but it is only residents of the lake as there is no public boat launch. I have found the best fishing to be in springtime.

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Norton Res, Cow Island Pond, Lower Charles River. I think thats a third for Norton Res.

Posted Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I plan on attending these a lot more this season and will gladly fish where ever it's decided. My only suggestion is why target such large bodies of water that have boat ramps, massive pressure, and are sometimes hostile to smaller boats in bad weather? I feel like we are missing some great bodies of water that we in kayaks and canoes have better access to, Ponkapoag is a great example.

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 am

lifted

I plan on attending these a lot more this season and will gladly fish where ever it's decided. My only suggestion is why target such large bodies of water that have boat ramps, massive pressure, and are sometimes hostile to smaller boats in bad weather? I feel like we are missing some great bodies of water that we in kayaks and canoes have better access to, Ponkapoag is a great example.

Pretty sure Tom said Ponkapoag will be the first spot this year.

Anyway, maybe Tom chooses places based on parking. Some of the smaller bodies of water have very little parking, you know.

But I don't know. I had no complaints last year. =)

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Parking is always the top consideration. We must have space for 10 vehicles. But I agree that it's much nicer to fish places without motorized craft. Ergo, the call for suggestions.

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 am

Would be nice if the DCR fixed the road leading in to Ponky! That road is brutal, I broke a tie rod end the last yak trip there. The DCR just got a chunk of state money for improvements so we'll see what happens.

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:25 am

Going through a very busy patch in my life right now but I plan to work up a draft of this year's Kayak Tourney Schedule in early February. Yes, you can count on Ponkapoag. I like the idea of smaller BOW. We just need to be able to get everyone parked. Ironically, we had some events last year that were lightly attended at venues with lots of parking. Lifted, if you have any specific places in mind, please feel free to post or PM me. I have a new place in mind for the coming year that I doubt anyone else has fished. Maybe i can get a home court advantage but it doesn't always work out that way!

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

In addition to Norton Res, what about Oldham Pond in Pembroke? Small, plenty of parking, excellent fishery, lots of big fish.

But whatever works. If I can fish that day, I'm in. =)

Posted Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:24 am

Quaboag and East Brimfield Res. are options out west. Parking good for both and close to the Pike.

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 am

rivethead

Quaboag and East Brimfield Res. are options out west. Parking good for both and close to the Pike.

Quaboag was a stop last year. Tough place to kayak on a windy day, though, unless you hit the rivers.

Anyone ever fish Lake Rico in Taunton? I live in Taunton now and have scoped it out on the map, but I've never fished it.

Posted Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links