Oldham is good, but Furnace Pond across the street is great. We'd have to
park on the side of the road or shuttle from Oldham's parking lot.
Another good spot is on 106 in east bridgewater its connected to Robbins
pond or may even be considered part of Robbins pond.

Posted Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:34 am

lifted

Another good spot is on 106 in east bridgewater its connected to Robbins pond or may even be considered part of Robbins pond.

Shhhh! That's my "secret" honey-hole! Haha.

Posted Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 am

OK, so here's a short list of ponds I'm thinking of scheduling based on suggestions plus one idea of my own:

1. Ponkapoag
2. Norton Reservoir
3. Nippenicket
4. Canton Reservoir
5. Nabnasset Lake
6. Furnace Pond
7. West Waushacum Pond
8. Robbins Pond
9. E. Brimfield Reservoir

I'm trying to spread things out a bit geographically and I hope to have something on paper by March 1 or thereabouts. The other thought I had was to maybe start the season in late April which is a bit earlier than past as we could perhaps get in some more pre-spawn fishing. Of course, the way things are right now, we may still have hard water then!

If you have fished or are thinking about fishing this Tourney Series, please speak up now with any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks!

Posted Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:17 pm

There might be a parking issue at Robbins Pond. I just remembered all this drama.

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/robbins-pond-halifax-bridgewater-no-trespassing-t8989.html

I don't what's happened since then, but parking there might be more hassle than its worth. Parking at the bog pond above Robbins might be a better idea (it's a better pond, too, but you could allow people to fish both; or all three since there is a second bog pond back there), especially if we get permission.

Posted Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:18 pm

kenwood

There might be a parking issue at Robbins Pond. I just remembered all this drama.

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/robbins-pond-halifax-bridgewater-no-trespassing-t8989.html

I don't what's happened since then, but parking there might be more hassle than its worth. Parking at the bog pond above Robbins might be a better idea (it's a better pond, too, but you could allow people to fish both; or all three since there is a second bog pond back there), especially if we get permission.

We could fit 10 cars in that lot, but If there were already people there it would be an issue. As far as the residents bitching, They are usually complaining about people using it as a beach or launching boats with a trailer, neither of which is allowed. That being said the upper pond is better anyway with plenty of parking.
I do like the idea of being able to do the portage into the lower pond though.

Posted Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am

You can't get close to the water at the upper pond at Robbins. Access has been gated off for awhile now. As far as Furnace goes, about 6 cars can park at the beach area at the south end off of Furnace Colony. Big dredging operation is supposed to get underway in the spring!

Posted Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:56 am

don51

You can't get close to the water at it several timeshe upper pond at Robbins. Access has been gated off for awhile now. As far as Furnace goes, about 6 cars can park at the beach area at the south end off of Furnace Colony. Big dredging operation is supposed to get underway in the spring!

You can park with in 25-30 ft of the pond I fished it a few times last summer.
You must be talking about the first gate. The entrance is directly across from the pizza shop.

Posted Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Yeah, the gate is locked to the left of the bog, but the gate on the right is not locked. I fished there a few times last year without issue. It's tough putting in at that cove because it's so deep, but it's not far to the main part of the pond and it's easy to launch there.

Anyone ever catch any fish at the pond across the street? My father and I used to try it a lot when I was a kid, but never caught anything.

Only one time did we ever get a bite. We were using shiners, my father was about to set the hook, and I managed to step on a mud wasp nest. Haha. Which sucked, of course. Not only did I get stung dozens of times, my father grabbed me and ran back to the car, through me inside, then pretty much smacked the s*** out of me while killing all the wasps on me. Not a fun experience. Haha. Never did land whatever had bit my father's line.

When I got out of the Air Force, my brother and I went over there, thinking we'd try it again. We got about 10 feet into the treeline and I saw hundreds and bees or wasps flying in and out of a hole at the base of a tree. Suffice it to say, we turned around and I really have no desire to go back there. =)

But I am still curious to know if there are fish there. It looks sweet!

Posted Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Yeah, I launched in that cove once. Almost got stuck in the mud where you park. I said the hell with it and just launch at Robbins and fish my way over and drag over the hill if I decide to fish there. Found the place to be way off last season.

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 am

Kenwood, the pond you are talking about across from robins on 106 was dry last year. Probably not a good sign.

Posted Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm

frogman

Kenwood, the pond you are talking about across from robins on 106 was dry last year. Probably not a good sign.

Probably not. Haha. Wonder if that was because they began harvesting cranberries again.

Posted Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links