what is the avarage sizes for Brook trout in MA, up here in Idaho, they were introduced as a way of providing more actions for anglers, but they did more harm then good by conflicting with native fish for food, in some lakes and certain water ways we even introduce Tiger muskies in hoping to leviate some of the problems we have with them, and we have alot of them (brookies)in certain streams that are stunt, they only get so big, but theres a few that gets closed to the 10 inch mark.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Most dont get very big at all. The native brookies that ive seen dont get much over 12 in. The stocked brooks get bigger in some of ponds but alot are put at a bigger size. The dumbass state actually stocked a 10lbs brook trout last spring!

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I havent caught one yet, but hopefully sometime soon.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:41 pm

MY FIRDT 5 BROOKIES LAST WEEKEND NH(WHITE MOUNTAINS SACO RIVER ) WHERE ARE THE TROUT AROUND MA I AM HESITENT TO USE THE MASS WILDLIFE SITE IT HAS GOTTEN ME SKUNKED BEFORE. THIS SITE IS THE BEST FISHING RESOURCE AROUND BY FAR.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm

MY FIRDT 5 BROOKIES LAST WEEKEND NH(WHITE MOUNTAINS SACO RIVER ) WHERE ARE THE TROUT AROUND MA I AM HESITENT TO USE THE MASS WILDLIFE SITE IT HAS GOTTEN ME SKUNKED BEFORE. THIS SITE IS THE BEST FISHING RESOURCE AROUND BY FAR.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm

The Brook Trout in Mass streams are caught anywhere between 5-12 inches. They do get much bigger in the ponds and lakes of Mass though.

Posted Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 pm

On a fly line I know that the Swift River catch and release area has some rather large brookies. I have hooked a 14" there just below the pool, while nymph fishing.

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:56 am

I'm guessing that's because that spot is a fly-fishing only spot. Most brookies don't even get to 12 inches when in a Mass stream. I've noticed that they are more common in sections of streams that are fly-fishing only since not everyone fly-fishes.

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:00 am

Agreed Smile , that stream has some large river trout for any controlled stream in Ma. I know that the Rainbow trout in thier are trophy size fish of 16"+

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 pm

where can you catch a native brook trout in or around waltham??

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 pm

The MA state record is 10 lbs. caught in the Ashfield Reservoir in 2008. The brookies stocked by the state average around 12" the native brook trout are usually around 6 or 7". Just noticed that this thread is over 3 years old Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:50 am

anglerman17

where can you catch a native brook trout in or around waltham??

You can find some small creeks and streams in Weston that have brookies, but they are a pain in the ass to get to and I have not gone to them in years. Try to google maps to identify and find access points. They are on the north side of town closer to 117.

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links