i've always been partial to rapalas and artificial lures like that. never really had luck with rubber worms and spinners untill this year. now its all i use. i just never used them enough to learn how to use 'em. i've been using yamasenkas and powerbait. i've also been using a rubber frog called a sizmic toad. it kinda floats and the legs kick on the retrieve. it seems to be a hit or miss for me, i either have no bites at all or i get monster hits and my line or swivel will break on me.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 pm

I dunno really, depends on how lazy I am.

If I am lazy that day I'll go live bait all the way. Medium to large shiners, large especially if it is a well known pike lake as well or known to have simply monster bass like the Assabet (sp also called Stump pond or A-1 site) reservoir in Westborough.

Though if I am going lures I like a lot of top-water action. Buzz-baits, Torpedo's, Jitterbugs, Plugs etc.

Berkley makes that Gulp stuff now and in my experience it works well. They have a chartreuse 3" grub that I simply love jigging through and around weed beds, and have pulled some really amazing fish with em when other rubber worms weren't producing.

Though I can't say I have true favorites as I will pull out whatever I have if I think it'll work depending on the area. These are just a few of my "If I only had 1-5 lures" type list, least for bass.

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:00 pm

stump pond is incredible, huh? i live in westboro about 5 minutes away. always have great luck fishing there.
i punched a 2 ft hole in the bottom of a boat there.
great for fishing bad for boating.

theres a sopt there at early spring that the bass just sit at. you can catch 10-20 bass in 2 hours that average 2 1/2 - 3 lbs... easily

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:48 pm

Yeah Stump is a crazy nice pond, and yes really have to pay attention when boating there.

Haven't had any bad incidents there, yet, but I'm sure one of these days that dead wood is gonna get me.

and theres bass all over the place there..one of my first trips there I walked along the shore from the off road parking area toward that concrete drain where the water goes through to the stream below. As I walked I saw a dead large-mouth, had to be at least 5+lbs with a dead crappie in its mouth. The crappie was prolly 1/2 pound or so and it looked like the Large-mouth choked to dead trying to swallow it.

Fell in love with that area after that.

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 pm

4lbs 9oz, makes me happy

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:17 pm

That is a really nice fish. Sadly I haven't had much in the way of bass fishing lately, been heavy on carp.

I will have to dust off my lure box though for some decent fall action.

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:55 pm

is you plan on coming to stump, bring a canoe or kayak or something. tons of weeds. fishing from shore is kinda challenging

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:53 pm

I tend to use Rapala's and Spinners, though I have a good collection in my tackle bag(worms, jigs,etc.),but my stand-by has always been the "Rooster Tail". I could be getting shut out all day, Ill throw one of those on and Im pulling in something with out fail. Crazy, but I love it.

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Mainly Rubber and spinners

Posted Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:15 am

spinnerbaits and buzzbaits and 6" stick worms.
i love slow rolling a single colorado thru some lilly pads
and dropping them over stumps and heavy brush.
jigging under tree lines is another one of my favorites

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

i always use live bait i hate lures all they do is pick up weeds

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:34 pm

It used to be powerbait 7in worms either motor oil or black, but now i'm hooked on senkos, just about any color works.

Posted Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 am

i know they're just shiners, but i catch and release 99.9% of the time, it doesnt seem right for me to kill a shiner to catch a fish that i'm gonna let go anyway. i know you're all gonna think i'm a fag now. but that's why i only use artificial.

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 am

i'm big on 7" powerbait right now. red shad.

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 am

chartreuse and lime green chatter bait is doing it for me this year along with my favorite spinnerbaits. the chatterbaits are so universal to fish, you can fast retreive like a spinner, lots of vibration and you can jig it off the bottom for smallies or largies.
i love em

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links