I've seen guys use up to ten!

I'm not sure what the rules are, but I think anything over 2 is detrimental. Even with 2, I've had times where both rods for.hit and I couldn't get both in at the same time, thereby losing both fish...

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:43 am

You can hit more than one inlet/outlet to try and find the fish. The spots look great on both the incoming and outgoing. I was skunked 3x at those inlets this year, but I was fishing the dead of summer.

The one harabor striper I caught there this year was by the sugar bowl, in a boat, on clams, and it was a keeper... Jesse's advice is awesome.

Good luck man!

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks a ton guys now on the inlet do I fish where the inlet starts like closest to the ocean or should I cast from the beach I soaked some mackerel and squid behind umass today got 2 stingrays they were really hard and spiked not sure the type thanks again

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:48 pm

I'll probably hit that inlet tonight or tomorrow morning

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey James,

Those are "skates." They are harmless but definitely a nuisance when using bait...

During certain times of the year, that spot is incredible. Usually the blues would be running through by now, but I haven't seen many in Boston this year. JFK fishes best three to four hours before slack high...

A lot of people hold the whole "fish the incoming" up too high in my opinion. Over the years, I've found that each spot is different and that actual current flow and bring able to toss into structure provides more results than just showing up at "the right time."

I went fishing with my dad a few weeks ago and he just couldn't understand why I wanted to fish well into the outgoing. In a nutshell, I find that the current in a lot of my favorite spots works to my advantage, and I can wade closer to the holes that may be holding fish.

The spots I hit in Winthrop are definitely better for plugging. There is an abundance of live bait and I have seen a lot of clunkers fail while I kill it... Furthermore, the places that hold fish on the outgoing are empty during the incoming, I think because they set up to feed based on the direction of current.

It seems to have slowed down a lot in the past few days. It you are chunking, another spot I'd try is Nut Island in Quincy. Right off the end of the pier there. Make sure you have a bridge net and enough weight. The current really rips there. If you're lucky, and they're still around, you may be able to snag some squids on jigs there. If bass are around, or blues, they will definitely bite that! There have been black sea bass, and even cod caught there as well. Definitely a spot worth checking out.

Hope I've been helpful.

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:12 pm

They were pretty annoying thanks for all the info Jesse this helps so much I will probably try that spot another time. Today I fished behind umass in the current I will try pleasure bay tomorrow I'm thinking of just throwing out 2 with squid and mackerel and using one with a buck tail jig then a popper and finish it up with a diving minnow lure. How does this sound? Would you change anything? I will show up 1-2 hours before high and stay 2 hours after high

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah. Those skates are harmless... They don't sting or anything.

Bucktails are good, but bring a bunch. You'll want to go heavy if it's really ripping... If you're not there in the early morning, I'd bring the popper, but not use it unless you see stuff on the top. Maybe give it a few casts, but I wouldn't focus on it. Try running it at the edge of the current and see if it works out.

I'd use something like a yellow or white bomber, or better yet, the Daiwa SP. Make sure you change out then hooks first because they are real weak and you will be real disappointed if you hit something decent and it mangles the hooks.

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 pm

I got a 2 ounce buck tail mackerel colored and i try and find the current and cast out the squid on those I got some baitcasters. And should I cast out the lures or the bait on the edge of the current? Thanks again
I don't have many lures I'll post a pick of some of the ones I have and if you could tell me what you think of them

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 pm

It's not letting me post pics now but I got a white/ red popper I'll try and also a orange lure that skims along the top I will also use a 2 piece diving minnow and a one piece

Posted Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Whenever I try to chunk and plug at the same time, I can never set the hook on the chunk!

Tell me more about the orange lure? Maybe find a link on google and try to post it here? Or describe it a little better? Is it a metal lipped swimmer? Needlefish?

As far as where to throw... This is a very difficult question to answer.

When people fish for these, or any predatorial gamefish from shore, there are a couple different approaches. You can go to a spot where you've heard fish have been running through and pray that they end up coming by and taking your bait. I did it for years, and still do when I'm checking out new spots. A lot of beaches around here are like this. Very little structure, and a seemingly endless stretch of beach. I remember getting frustrated and thinking "how the hell am I supposed to find them in all of this?! It's like a needle in a haystack!" The other approach is trying to imagine that you are a fish, look at where the water moves, and try to guess where you would set up to ambush bait...

These fish are, for the most part, lazy. They wait for food to come to them. They also love moving water because there is more oxygen and because they know that bait gets overwhelmed by fast currents... So see where the water is dumping out. See which way the current is going too. At Castle Island, it tends to curve one direction or the other. And then, like I said, cast to where you would wait for an easy meal.

Also, "the night time is the right time." This time of year, stripers will bite more during the day than any other time in the season. In fact, I read on OnTheWater that some guy hit a 50 lber off of Revere Beach a little bit ago in the middle of the day. But, for the most part, this fish is active during the night time and much easier to catch when the sun is down. They tend to move in closer to shore to eat, there are no boats to scare them away, etc. I've noticed that when I succeed during the day, I have to finesse my lures, much like I would when trying to catch freshwater bass... On a rod that weights much more than a freshwater setup. It gets real tiring. At night, usually a simple, slllloooooowwww, straight retrieve is preferable.

Also, sunrise, and to a lesser extent (for me anyway), dusk, can also be really productive. If you can't go during these times, make sure you try to go on cloudy days, and more importantly, when the water is moving!

There. Tried to pack years of trial and error into a few paragraphs. Sorry for the novel and good luck!

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 am

Wow thanks man really helpful I am going to take all your tips and try them out today

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23 am

It's freezing right now!

Pick up some backlash lure clips too and some swivels so you can change your lures out quickly.

The lure on the far right is a bluefish lure. The third one looks like a windcheater bomber... I'd say that and the eel would be your best bet. If you have some time, buy some Bomber 16a, and the magnum version too. Yellow has been the most consistent producer for me day and night for some reason.

Daiwa SP minnow in green mack, silver, and bone. Buy one of these and change out the split rings and hooks to similar size. Stock ones are way too weak. A lot of people blow this off as a fad lure, but the majority of my daytime fish have come on this lure. It's an absolute game changer if you can figure out the right speed. Hell, even if you can't, I've had fish hit it while I was taking a phone call and it was just sitting motionless.

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 am

Good stuff jessiekay

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:53 am

Ok I'll pick those up and try them out as for the eel if I can get live eels would that work? Rig them with a bobber or sink them? And do the blues go anywhere or do they stay around?

Posted Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:29 am

Eels are really neat, but I wouldn't fish them the way that you would think.

You're gonna need a couple things. Bring burlap gloves or a couple socks you don't want because these suckers are real tough to grip. I like to put them on ice, or keep them in a bucket with an aerator and ice inside. Either keep them in water with the aerator, or keep them fully out of the water and make sure they don't drown in their own slime; They can breathe outside of water, but if they are in water and there is no oxygen, you'll end up with a bunch of dead eels.

Anyway, I like to just hook them through the bottom of the chin and out one eye. Sometimes I'll add an egg sinker above the hook if the wind is really kicking. And you just fish them like a sluggo, only there is no need to really impart any action. Just reel very slow and make sure you keep it moving.

Before I knew any better, I used to sink it with a regular old, fishfinder rig. Spent many nights untangling these slippery bastards that had rolled themselves around and around my line, and never got a hit on these rigs.

Even if the eels die, you can rig them up like a sluggo or hogy; double hook rig, a simple hook, or a jighead, and fish them just like you would a plastic!

Don't throw them away if they die or you don't use them all... You can save them and fish them the next time you go out. I've also heard of guys putting the skin on certain plugs with success. If any of you guys know how to do that, I'd love to learn!

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links