I put my tackle and kayak away on November 1, coincidentally the day I caught my biggest LMB ever. Guess I wanted to go out on top, LOL.

This was my first season fishing after barely wetting a line since I was a teenager. I learned a ton, had a blast, caught a decent amount of fish, and last but not least, found on MFF a great online fishing community to support and enlighten me. I met quite a few people on the water who gave me some great tips as well.

As a long-time kayaker, one of the reasons I got back into fishing was to add another dimension to my paddling adventures and have an incentive to get out on the water more, and explore some new spots. It worked!

In looking at the season in review - I got a late start, around the first week of June, and as I said fished until November 1, and while I didn't keep precise records (at least until I joined MFF Smile) here's a summary of my 2015 fishing experiences:

Number of trips: ~40

Kayak vs. shore fishing: ~75% kayak - only fished shore at Sudbury Rez, since no boats are allowed

Most fished spots: Sudbury River, Sudbury Reservoir, Dudley Pond

Other spots fished: Lake Cochituate, Ashland Reservoir, Lake Whitehall, Lake Chauncy, Tully Lake, Tully River, Long Pond (Royalston)

Number of bass caught: ~40 (~90% largemouths)

Largest bass caught: 17" long, 15" girth LM, estimated at 3.5 lbs (I need to get a scale!)

Other species incidentally caught: yellow perch (up to 12 inches), pickerel (up to 16 inches - probably 20 or so

Most productive bait: Senko watermelon worm, by far, rigged both Texas and wacky style; also caught some on a perch-patterned Biggie Smalls crankbait, a chartreuse spinner bait, and lots in the fall on lipless rattle baits

Rod/reel: Abu Garcia Ike Dude spinning combo with 10 lb mono; don't laugh, this was an upgrade from an ultralight telescoping spinning rod and reel that I found half-buried on a sandbar in the Concord River!

Overall, it was a lot of fun and I definitely got the bug bad! Will continue to add to my tackle collection over the winter and look forward to the spring bite!

And how was your season?

Posted Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:22 am

I had a good season though it isn't over yet,I'll get out 1 or 2 more times.Caught many Largemouth and Smallmouth this year,I didn't break any of my Personal Best weights but added another 6 lb Larry to my list.I fished some new ponds and met a lot of guys.Did my 1st Kayak Tournament in April and enjoyed it so much I ended up participating in 9 of them and did very well(can't wait to do more next year). All in all its been another great fishing season! It's almost time to bust out and prep all my ice fishing gear.

Posted Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:58 am

i had a good season! HELL OF A LOT BETTER THEN LAST YEAR!!! caught a ton of fish this spring. summer was ok, didnt bass fish as much but when i did, i got fish!

caught my PB at 7.5 lbs, hooked and lost a bigger fish! my jaw dropped a few times this year. big catches from my fishing buddies, big catches that i caught, and the amount of big bass i saw swimming, hit and miss or i hooked was very awesome!!

found some new kickass places that i will pound to a pulp next year.

lost my PB smallie. easily 5.
also lost my PB laker!

salt water season. SUCKED SOOOOOO FRIGGIN BAD!!!!!!!!!
i caught my first bonito EVER which was very awesome!

made new friends! and learned some new tricks!
I CANT WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am

also caught my first carp and steelie this year as well!

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 am

My fishing season is definitely better than last year although I fish much less than last year.

Epic or impressive catch of the year
- two largemouth bass weight 7.1lbs caught on first and second casts.
-13.10lbs tiger Muskie (first tiger in my lifetime)
- 7.14lbs largemouth bass for biggest bass of the year.
- 13 largemouth bass over 5lbs for the year. (I need look my logbook about this one) (top five biggest largemouth bass limit is 32.10lbs)
- 5.7lbs smallmouth bass for biggest bass of the year.
- caught four smallmouth over 5lbs for the year. (Five biggest smallmouth limit is 25.15lbs)
-1.4lb sunfish
- 7.14lbs walleye
-19.3lbs carp
-6.1lbs channel catfish
- two brown trout weight over 5lbs on same night.
-5lbs rainbow trout
-6.8lbs shad
-2lbs brook trout
-1.10lbs yellow perch
-6lbs pickerel
-31lbs king salmon (in ny)
- 8lbs brown trout (in ny)

Now for saltwater
-46 inch striper bass released
-42lbs striper bass kept
-63 inch bluefin tuna
-3 wolffish
- 12lbs COD
- 10lbs haddock
- monster thresher but line snapped before I took the picture.
- 12 foot blue shark

Pretty much, that's it from me. Although my freshwater season won't end until massive snow kick in or iced over. P.s. Made bunch of new fishing buddies too.

In other note, found few sweet and new honey holes that hold some massive largemouth bass. Probably will catch them in ice fishing or spring! So expect Bassturds or I will put up some serious pictures when we get big bass. Because I just learned how to use Huddleston swimbait. (In which, landed 7.14lbs for me)

My new goal for 2016 is break 9lbs and 40lbs for five bass limit. While 6lbs smallmouth and 25lbs total five bass limit.

Last edited by deaffisherman on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 am

hudds-you're welcome! LMAO!!! that 7lbser day was epic! cant believe i lost the bigger bass then those!!!! DAMN IT!!

WE WILL POUND THE s*** OUT OF THOSE SPOTS ON THE ICE !!!!!

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Wow, you guys have had some nice seasons for sure! Congrats to all!

I wanted to break 30" on a northern pike, but only managed 28" and my Walleye search only resulted in a catch that was more suited for a little aquarium. I didn't get to spend as much time on the water as previous years, but it was still a blast and looking forward to next season.

Posted Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:51 am

I also had a good first year back into fishing as well since I hadn't fished in 6-7 years and I used to mainly SW fish with my Dad back then. Anyway, I didn't get started as early as I wanted to and I didn't get my fishing kayak until late in the summer but I got around 30-40 fish total.

My first fish of the year (around early July) was my PB and first Largemouth ever at 4.6 lbs and boy did that fish get my hooked on fishing but unfortunately, I didn't catch another bass until my last trip of the summer which was in August and I caught 3 small Larries all under 1 lb. In between the bass, I got a ton of bluegill, white perch, yellow perch, one pumpkinseed, a few sunfish, and two pickerel.

Overall, I learned a ton about fishing, got an awesome kayak, found some dope spots, and am looking forward to next year! I also send a big shout out to the MAFF community for all of the insight I received this year.

Thanks guy! Cya next year!

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:20 am

PB LMB the first time out, what are the odds?!

What were you using for baits the rest of the summer that you got all those panfish? I try to avoid anything they would bite, but those yellow perch are fierce and will nail bass-sized baits one-third their size.

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:38 am

I caught the 4.6 lbs bass of a #2 Mepps Spinner, and I caught the 3 smaller bass on jitterbugs. All of the rest of the fish I caught were on a spinner. I know catching sunfish isn't fun for most, but the guy at work (who got me back into fishing) said to start with spinners because you will catch fish so it keeps your interest peaked.

I tried to use weedless setups with worms every time I went fishing, but no bites. I still have to master that technique. Either way, I had a blast! I can only fish half of the summer, since I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, so I have to get all of my fishing in when I am home.

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 am

just got another 5lbser! most likely my last 5 of the year!

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:11 am

Couldn't break 4lb for a Lm and only got 2 of those! Still have 2 weeks left! Rolling Eyes

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:28 pm

My only bass this past Sunday. 5.12. Caught a lot of 5+ this year but can't crack 6

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Nice....some real good angling seasons....and great write ups too.
Impressive freshwater catches by Bassturds and Deaffisherman.

Deaffisherman--if you have any pics of the 5lb rainbow or 6lb pickerel please post them...I would love to see them

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 pm

I don't keep track of what I caught, though I guess there is video evidence of some of it, so that's close. If you're interested, here's a great trip from December 9, plus a clip of the 5.2 I caught three days later:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hf7ME03u0A[/youtube]

Overall, though, my year was mediocre. By my standards, anyway. Kind of expected, I guess. I've been trying to expand my arsenal a lot in the past two years, learn new techniques, fish new lures, etc. Couple that with fishing lakes I'm not very, if at all, familiar with (and never being able to pre-fish), and it's been tough.

I fish a lot of tournaments, both big boat and kayak, and I even tried some online kayak tournaments this year. By the end of 2015, I'll have fished 44 tournaments, including the one this coming Sunday, which will likely be my last. I placed in just 10 of them. Kind of weak.

Unfortunately, because of my overnight work schedule and the arrival of our second child, I left a lot of the tournaments early due to exhaustion. I try to flip my schedule a bit leading up to the weekends, get on a more "day shift" schedule, but sometimes it's hard. I dumped my fish and left a few tournaments early, thinking I had no chance of placing, only to find out everyone struggled and I would have placed in the money. That sucked! Haha.

Anyway, not my best year. My biggest went 5.7, but I caught a few more over 5lb, plus a ton of threes and fours. I had fun. Guess that matters most. =)

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:37 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links