I plan on buying x2 Ascend "FS12 Sit In kayak's for my son and I this year , My question is has any one install a fish finder and transducer to this type of kayak? and how would I do this.
Does any one fish with live bait since my son likes to do , we saw a small bait cooler that can fit between his legs at Bass Pro Shop with air pump he doesn't thing he will be able to reach behind him self to get a minnow out. I did happen to find this online
http://www.rammount.com/products/kayak/transducer has any try this? I guess it will make removing the fish finder and transducer for storage or move to another yak easier.

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:43 pm

i had the fs10 and returned it for not liking sit in. for the 750 price tag of the fs 12, id recommend you to find a used sit on top kayak. much easier to rig and you can stand up and fish.

if you do choose to go with a sit in, you just gonna have to install ram balls for the transducer and another for the finder.

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:26 pm

The only reason we are getting the sit in is that we fish a lot on the big lakes here in Freetown and Fallriver and this lakes can get real choppy and windy in open waters even fishing off shore gets cold in the spring and fall at times saw a man loose his 10 foot jon boat with his dog on choppy waters. Taunton has a few lakes and ponds that are calm that we hit in the summer.

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:35 pm

One more reason for sit on top yaks. They have scupper holes, which would allow the water out from the boat. As for the cold, just get a wader. Sit on tops never sink, sit ins would. Just giving my two cents. But remember, whatever makes you happy =)

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Hey there,

I've had good luck mounting a transducer inside of my kayak using Electrician's putty from home depot.

The stuff sticks great but is easily removed. The transducer shoots through the hull of the kayak no problem.

The main con is that you don't get perfect temp readings.

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 pm

jjbagoose

Hey there,

I've had good luck mounting a transducer inside of my kayak using Electrician's putty from home depot.

The stuff sticks great but is easily removed. The transducer shoots through the hull of the kayak no problem.

The main con is that you don't get perfect temp readings.

And what were the steps taken to do this any pic's thanks . I have been saving a lot of forum pages on these installations thru the hall set-up's

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:19 pm

So jjbagoose let me get this right you roll a ball of putty and flatten where you want the transducer at and place it on the center of the putty and bring all the edges up and over the transducer right and it's Electrician's putty from home depot.
Now will it stay in place when you flip the yak over for transport or storage? Thanks for you info.

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 am

Yup, that's about it.

The stuff is amazingly sticky but you can actually remove it when you need to.

Just as long as the transducer is flush against the putty with no air bubbles you get a good reading. (If not take it off and try again)

I used to use a Sit In Kayak that I had it mounted in and it never moved even during transport. You'll just want to secure the cables so that don't flap around.

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:25 am

jjbagoose

Yup, that's about it.

The stuff is amazingly sticky but you can actually remove it when you need to.

Just as long as the transducer is flush against the putty with no air bubbles you get a good reading. (If not take it off and try again)

I used to use a Sit In Kayak that I had it mounted in and it never moved even during transport. You'll just want to secure the cables so that don't flap around.

Thanks!

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:22 am

What would be a good fish finder to get ? For a first time user. I was told by a sales person at Bass Pro Shop that I should use something like this
http://www.basspro.com/Stealth-Cam-Auxiliary-Battery-Kits/product/62836/
But wounder how would I connect this to the fish finder and what do I need {like a fuse} to get this to work?

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:46 pm

I fish a lot of the waters around Fall River area myself and use a sit on top kayak with no problems, as mentioned before, it won't fill with water. For a transducer mount, after trying a few different ways I actually ended up using a suction cup (this was the last option I wanted to go with), it surprisingly worked quite well, and it could easily remove it to throw the kayak upside down on my Jeep.

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:22 am

inkslinger

I plan on buying x2 Ascend "FS12 Sit In kayak's for my son and I this year , My question is has any one install a fish finder and transducer to this type of kayak? and how would I do this.
Does any one fish with live bait since my son likes to do , we saw a small bait cooler that can fit between his legs at Bass Pro Shop with air pump he doesn't thing he will be able to reach behind him self to get a minnow out. I did happen to find this online
http://www.rammount.com/products/kayak/transducer has any try this? I guess it will make removing the fish finder and transducer for storage or move to another yak easier.

Dont listen to these sit on top guys you can just push them right off thier kayaks I have a Ascend FS10 2014, had issues with the seat creating a leak in the floor but looks like the 2015 models fix the issue and they look great. I dont use a fish finder but for the $ its the best Kayak you can get, stay dry and warm! Sit inside Exclamation
http://www.mafishfinder.com/view_photo_details.php?id=46614&pid=15

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 am

When you mount a transducer on the inside of a kayak with the putty method. You loose accurate water temperature readings.While the putty methods is cheap and easy I choose to purchace a transducer arm that actually hangs over the side into the water.

As far as sit in vs sit on tops. In my opinion the sit on top has two perks that make it appealing to anglers. 1- you can stand in some models or even sit sideways. Which clearly helps when fishing. 2- you have alot more options for rigging the yak with accesorries.
That being said sit insides have perks too. 1- speed, tracking, and agility. Sit insides are clearly the winners when traveling distances. 2- sit insides are more of an all season boat that are great to use even in cold weather. Plus if you have a spray skirt you can do rough rivers, which I wouldn't even consider in a sit on top. 3- weight! Sit ons are considerably heavier making loading and portages more of a chore.
Those are the things I have noticed when using yaks. I guess it's all preference.
Also I would personally never purchase a yak less than 12' in length unless you truly enjoy spinning in circles.

www.austinkayak.com/products/10201/RAM-Transducer-Arm-Mount-Wedge-Base-and-1-in-Ball.html?k=transducer

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:45 am

FS10 only 48 pounds Exclamation carry it yourself with one hand Never went in circles but i'm sure the longer Kayaks track better.

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:01 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links