I was looking at those plastic top water frogs such as horny toads and a few others. At Dick's thers is quite a bit of dirrerent brands. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these frogs and had some info on which one they liked. Very Happy

Thanks

Mikey

Posted Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Ive always heard good things about the Spro Bronze Eye frogs. I have one, but havent really fished it yet.

Posted Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 pm

i was using one that i picked up a local shop called the sizmic toad. i was getting some insane hits. i just picked up another bag from bps yesterday. planning on using them tonight. let ya know how it goes.

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:50 am

i love using frogs.i have a few different kinds but my favorite is one called the "ribbit" . it is weedless and uses a v-lock spring hook. the color is dark green accented with black and red speckles. the action of this frog is awsome no matter how you fish it!i like to fish it bye slow retrieve- pause action. the frog is made by "stanley".

Posted Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:45 am

timwag2001

i was using one that i picked up a local shop called the sizmic toad. i was getting some insane hits. i just picked up another bag from bps yesterday. planning on using them tonight. let ya know how it goes.

I think i have those too do they have paddle legs? I have had some luck with them using a finesse football jig. How do you rig them?

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:31 am

scunnedout

i love using frogs.i have a few different kinds but my favorite is one called the "ribbit" . it is weedless and uses a v-lock spring hook. the color is dark green accented with black and red speckles. the action of this frog is awsome no matter how you fish it!i like to fish it bye slow retrieve- pause action. the frog is made by "stanley".

How are they are far as hooking a fish on the strike? I know some frogs get alot of hits, but it can be hard to get a good hook set.

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am

yeah, the legs paddle. use a hook no smaller than a 4/0 a little bigger is preferable. the toad has a ridge down the middle of the back that the tip of the hook rests in which makes it weedless but the hook isnt imbedded in the rubber so it's easier to set the hook

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm

zoom horny toads with a no.5 wide gap hook in white,black and yellow,and also green works for me.

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:24 pm

timwag2001

yeah, the legs paddle. use a hook no smaller than a 4/0 a little bigger is preferable. the toad has a ridge down the middle of the back that the tip of the hook rests in which makes it weedless but the hook isnt imbedded in the rubber so it's easier to set the hook

Posted Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Zoom horny Toads for getting down to the fish and spro bronze eye frogs for the surface. Try a horny toad when its raining out.

Kman

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:46 am

I've used a plastic toad once and the only thing I caught was a live toad(no lie)

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 am

mikeyc

I was looking at those plastic top water frogs such as horny toads and a few others. At Dick's thers is quite a bit of dirrerent brands. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these frogs and had some info on which one they liked. Very Happy

Thanks

Mikey

Mikey:
I've had luck with the spro bronzeye frog( I own several different ones, and I love the strike king rage tail frog, coupled with either a zoom horny toad hook, or a lazer sharp 1/8th ounce weighted swimbait hook.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am

Fishing with plastic frogs can be a lot of fun and very productive. Three weeks ago I caught a 5 1/2 lb large mouth on one. I was retrieving it slow and he must have been sitting under it as I came over top of him and he just sucked it under.

As far as technique: cast it into the pads and retrieve it slow (slower than you think), stop and pause occasionally. Keep you rod tip high. You must be watching it at all times because like I said sometimes they just suck it under. If you do get a strike wait 1-2 seconds before setting the hook. Make sure you use a high pound test braided line because they can take it down and wrap around the pads and if your line isnt strong enough it will snap. I had this happen that same weekend I caught the 5 1/2 lb'er. I had a huge hit as I was going over a pad and he dove down with it, I set the hook and as I tried to retrieve the line snapped. I lost the fish and my frog, needless to say I was pissed. But I saw the line lying in the water so I decided to grab it and at least get my frog back. As we got the boat over to were it was wrapped around the pads we tried pulling it up and to our suprise there he was still attached!! as we tried to pull it up by hand we got it to the side of the boat and the line snapped again. Lost the frog and the fish again. He was as big or bigger than the Larry I caught earlier. Last time I will ever use mono again.

As far as types to use I have found the Scum Frog to be one of the best out there. I prefer dark green or black.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15436_100007008_100000000_100007000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

But like I said fishing with frogs is a lot of fun. Watching as you see a small swirl behind it then an explosion through the pads can be pretty exhilarating.

Posted Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm

I USE THE SCUM FROG

Posted Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links