Savage makes some great lures. I modified this soft 4 play with a lip. it swims really nice. I got the lip from a soft storm swimbait that was kind of beat up. I have the hard version of the 4play as well, it's another good bait.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:46 pm

I have been looking at the Soft 4 Play too.... they have some great action too. I am really looking forward to slinging swimbaits next year.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 pm

I hear ya! I'm already itching to throw them. Passing the time making my own.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 pm

I have been passing the time researching new water to put my kayak in this season. I hit a few ponds last year, some were good some were a bust for me that particular day. Looking forward to exploring new water and hitting the ones I liked last year again with some new tactics.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:20 pm

The chemical stench of their soft plastic swimbaits is horrible.

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:48 pm

You know, they are pretty freaking stinky.... but a package of Berkley Gulp anything smells like sh** too.... and then there's catfish bait.... we'll see if the Savage gear funk-a-roma makes any difference when the time comes....

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00 pm

I definitely noticed that in a couple of different brand soft plastic swimbaits, especially the bigger ones. the savage in my picture does not have the strong odor, but it is also 3 or 4 years old and it may have dissipated. I just bought a new 10 inch storm soft plastic swimbait and that thing reeks!

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:02 pm

fdw9652

Anybody ever use one of these?? The action in the videos is pretty appealing..... wonder if it is as appealing to a fish as it is the human using it??

What size treble hook are you guys using on these??

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:51 pm

I am not sure of the size. The 6 inch Savage Gear Line through trout comes with a treble hook that doesn't look any bigger than any treble hook that comes standard on most crankbaits. I just got some of the 7.5 inch Savage Gear Soft 4 Play swimbaits too. I am going to rig them weedless on a Savage Gear 7/0 hook they make specifically for that lure. I got a Spro BBZ-1 Slow Sinking Shad swimbait and a Biwaa 7. That should just about cover me for swimbaits this year. Can't wait for the spring and summer..... but it can take it's time, got to save up more money for a few more items for this season - kayak upgrade and electronics upgrade. Then I will be ready!!

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:46 pm

What kind of line do you guys use to throw big swimbaits?? I have been watching the "instructional videos" on YouTube and it seems like some use every type of line. Sure was easier when all the produced was mono...

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 am

A lot of people like heavy mono... Personally, I use 65 pound braid with a 3 foot fluorocarbon leader (50 pound).

Different lines for different guys. The more important thing is that the line should be heavy. You're throwing huge baits, fishing often near the bottom where there are snags, and catching big fish. I'd say whatever type of line you use, make it at least 40 lbs.

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 am

Wow - I only use 40 braid and 40 leader for stripers.

Fred

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 pm

I like 25 lb seaguar flouro, ideally. it's tough to find in stores around here though so I go with 25 pound mono if I can't find the flouro. a lot of people do use the heavy braids like 65 pound. I just never tried it. I kind of like the stretch that flouro and mono has when fishing swim baits.

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Reason why people using heavy braid because they want to have power to unsnag the swimbait from logs or something. Secondly, ensure that your swimbait has lot reduce chance to break off from casting. (swimbait cost lot of money!) Last of all, pull the fish fast and ensure release back without any fatigue or wear down like you do with 4-8lbs test line. This three reasons that I am being aware of it. Maybe more people can chime in more answer about it. I'm just started doing the swimbait.

I have Revo toro NaCl 61 and shamino sojourn 8ft rod. Rigged with 15 mono as backing and 150yds of 50lbs braid. So ready for this spring to come! Hi mommy, im coming for you! haha Twisted Evil

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Deaffisherman hit it on the head. I mainly use the cheapest swim baits I can find that still look good. Usually $9-12. And since I fish on the bottom, I'm constantly running it through trees and stuff, and breaking them off on the cast is abother real possibility. I'd say if I used 12 pound line, I'd probably go through at least 2 or 3 a trip, and it's not worth $20-30 every time I want to throw swimbaits. And multiply that for the people who throw nothing but Hudds, than you're out $30 a lure!

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links