Teamtrout - you are right. I'm upgrade to 10-30 dollars swimbaits this year.. Im pretty nervous as hell. I never owned any 10 dollars lure. Until recently.

P.s. last time, i recalled, you used 65lbs braid? Can I ask why? no difference between 50 from 65lbs braid. except strength. i havent buy the braid line yet. but on fence between both braids strength. Just pick 50 for now. Whats your option about it?

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Honestly, not much of a difference. I use 65, because I got a bulk spool a while ago, so I had enough to fill up my swimbait reel. I suppose you could fit slightly less 65lbs line, but it doesn't really matter. I'd just go with whatever is cheaper, or whatever your reel is rated for. If they're the same price, you can't go wrong with heavier.

And it takes a while to get past the nervous feeling of losing a $30 lure. Use a strong leader, and make sure your knots are tight. In fact, when I rig the night before, I go over all mine with superglue.

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:44 pm

one name oliver ngy Big Bass Dreams if anyone has Instagram my name is simplenate i follow a lot of guys that throw big swim baits and a lot guys who throw them in massachusetts waters with 8" plus swim baits also if you search #bassachusetts you'll see a lot of the pictures but like i said one name oliver ngy he basically got big swim baits main stream in my eyes anyways

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Teamtrout - yeah, my reel has line capacity issue. Its revo. limited on 250yds on 14lbs mono. So, thats around with 40lbs braid. So, if i used 50lbs braid, it will cut like 150 yds along with mono as backing. I wish they offered more line capacity with strong drag. But cant complain with this reel. its heavy duty reel.

Creaturefiend - yeah, I know him. Met him on occasion. Even in fishing expo too. Hes know his stuffs. Myself, personally, I dont care with big lures because I have lot success with smaller lures. In fact, my 9.5lbs bass was taken on 1.5 inch lure. another two 8lbs bass taken on 3 inch lure. But I'm trying to convince myself to go big with lures to see if i will have same success with smaller lures. also, like everyone say, go big or go home... kinda fit into my fishing perspective right now. Good luck to you at this year! I know I'll pull 9+lbs bass this year.

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks for the input guys.... guess in the long run you can't go wrong with strong. From what I have read some people don't like braid because there is no stretch and you can pull the hooks out of the fishes mouth, some don't like mono because there is too much stretch in the lower weight ranges and it's hard to get a good hook set from long distances. They don't like mono because the diameters are too big to carry on a smaller, low profile reel, so braid makes sense in that aspect. My swimbaits are not in the eyeball popping price range, but I would hate to lose any of them. I will probably start out with some sort of braid to begin with and make adjustments later according to the production, or if it limits the swimbaits action. This waiting is the hardest thing...... but looks like I'll be busy moving snow for the next couple of days.....

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Yup, some like braid, some don't. I like the no-stretch, because it makes it easier for me to get a strong hook set from a while away. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd suggest if you aren't quite sure what to use, try braid with a longer heavy mono leader. A decent sized mono leader will give you some stretch when you set the hook, but you still have all the benefits of braid. 8-10 feet long in most cases.

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 pm

thanks deaffisherman small lures do catch big fish i personally haven't really gotten into the big swim baits i do own 2 s wavers that i do like and have caught fish on well the smaller one anyways haven't used the big yet but I'm more of a normal tournament fisherman right now crank baits creature baits jigs flipping frogging skipping docks etc i will eventually get a few set ups n do the whole swim bait big bait techniques for fun but as of right now I've got my head wrapped around the tournament game

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Oh yeah, you know what you has to do. good luck with bunch of Tourneys.

You said you owned two S wavers, how you think about them? I just got 4 Savage Gear Glide Swimmers. So, I hope it will be work well when they swim the water. I loved weightless fluke. I'm depend heavy on it. So, I felt that glide swimmer is match with fluke fishing and it was better suit for me. Also, glide swimmer is basically same with S wavers except tad cheaper. (Haven't used it yet.)

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 pm

i love the action on them only used the 120 size caught a few bass and some pickerel on it nothing crazy. i just got the 168 size in rainbow trout that ill play around with this up coming season, the action on them is the real deal no doubt it looks real in the water but i noticed on the 120 size u gotta work it pretty slow unless u use it like a jerk bait which I'm gonna def mess around with this spring.

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:07 am

I have two 8" baits and am going to buy two more, only 6" just because.

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 am

Ha, it seems like there are a lot of people throwing big baits this year! When the ice melts we'll have to start a "big swjmbait" thread to see how everyone's doing Very Happy

Posted Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links