I went to Great Herring for the first time a month ago and caught my first smallie. I went with a guy from another forum on his nitro z8 and that was probably the coolest fishing day of my life. 45 mph feels like 100 in choppy water.

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 am

The day I caught my 1st Smallmouth is the day I got THE FEVER, there's nothing like fighting a Big Smallie!!!

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:23 am

Went to the "top secret" pond in Plymouth today. First pond had a couple of strikes. Made my way to the "honey hole". Got a big white perch and a LM around 2lbs. within the first 5 minutes. Thought it was going to be good. Wrong! Fished another 2 hrs, got a couple more white perch and my first smallie of the season. A whopping half pound! Got my 1st smallie anyway. Hope I don't blow the place up! Laughing

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm

Quick Question: Do you need to use a plastic that floats when throwing a dropshot or will sinking plastics work just as well or better?

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Even the small ones think they are 6+lbs lol! I have had more smallies spit my hooks than all other fish combined. They sure are feisty!

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 pm

baystateangler

Quick Question: Do you need to use a plastic that floats when throwing a dropshot or will sinking plastics work just as well or better?

I throw ANY and ALL soft plastics on a dropshot

Posted Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 am

I recently bought drop shot set up need to try it out. Do u recommend fluoro for use?

Posted Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Pline fluroclear

Posted Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Definitely Fluorocarbon or fluorocarbon hybrid. I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid Fluorocarbon/Nylon Line, but ONLY for dropshot fishing. Just a personal preference.

Posted Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:58 am

I dropshot A Lot, last 10 years I've been Mono Only on my dropshot set up,this spring before fishing the spawn on Winnie I relined with FlouroCarbon,I LOVE IT, very sensitive but seems tough as nails, I will always use it dropshotting now. Next I gotta try it on my Texas Rig again I didn't like it 1st try.

Posted Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:11 am

The rig definitely catches fish but can be a PIA! Especially when a fish jumps it can become quite the tangled mess. I've had to put it down after catching just one fish because I didn't want to waste time retying the thing! Rolling Eyes Yeah, flouro has very little stretch and you can get a much better hookset.

Posted Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:27 am

Hamblins and Ashumet pond on the cape are great small mouth ponds.

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am

i use 8lbs floro for dropshottin

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links