looking for any pond suggestions for small mouths in southeast mass

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Smallies here and there.Great Herring is big but their in there.Halfway has them too.

Last edited by khaskins on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 pm

best bet is great herring. it has insane numbers. big sandy has them too. or lawrence pond down on the cape is great.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Listen to SamF - Great herring has numbers of smallies. you wont be sorry if you go there. although that place will be tough if you went in with winds.

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:44 pm

khaskins

Smallies here and there.Great Herring is big but their in there.Halfway has them too.

Thanks Ken

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone, I will go do some exploring. Always wanted to catch a big smallmouth, but they have kinda eluded me over the years

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Great South and Little South also. Both in Plymouth.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:18 am

don51

Great South and Little South also. Both in Plymouth.

Last edited by shawneramone on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:42 am

Great south and Litte south both suck! dont bother fishing there! trust me

Last edited by bassturds on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:59 am

halfway and great herring are awesome spots!! youll get some good fish there

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:01 am

Great South and Little South do have them but I agree, they kinda suck. I've got a few quality fish there but with all the time i put into that place it is disapointing.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Little South is one of the toughest ponds that I fish. It is hit or miss and usually miss. To get to Great South requires work. I don't know why someone would be upset about me mentioning it. I have fished it a half dozen times and haven't caught a thing! The place is not a hidden gem!

Posted Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:43 pm

samf

best bet is great herring. it has insane numbers. big sandy has them too. or lawrence pond down on the cape is great.

Sam, I have fished Lawrence a bunch and had good luck. Have never fished Great herring. Lawrence is just up the street. Is Great Herring worth the drive or is Lawrence just as good?

Mike

Posted Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Unless you fish in the spring, real early, at dusk or on cloudy, rainy days with some wind, BIG smallies are usually deep. and by deep I mean 20+ feet of water following schools of bait. So target deep water or fish the above conditions to better your odds. Try a drop shot or carolina rig in the deeper water. Crush the barb on your carolina rig please because the fish tend to swallow your bait before you realize you have a fish on. Its a lot easier to remove the hook when the bark is crushed. Take a pair of needle nose and squeeze the barb flat. On a quality hook it should just snap off because its hardened steel.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:26 am

Stratos is 100% right on. I fish from shore and unless it is cloudy and or rainy or morn or dusk smallies will be deep. Had a big one snap line the other day in a thunder storm.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:30 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links