Gentlemen,

I live in Brighton, generally do most of my fishing within the 495 belt. I know of lots of solid tackle shops a bit west of the city, but am trying to find one in the Watertown, Newton area, anyone know of any?

Tackle shops seem to be a bit slow on the 'information sharing abilities of the internet' train, and I am wondering about any hidden gems in the Boston area?

Thanks guys.

LarryLunker

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:20 am

The only place close to that area that comes to mind is "The Bait Bucket" in Waltham... and its average at best.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 am

I go to Arlington Bait & Tackle. The address is 84 Mass Ave in East Arlington. The owner's name is Dick. He's a good resource of information.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm

I go to Arlington also. If you end up there, leave yourself a little extra time, or hope that there are a few other people in there or Dick will talk your ear off. One time he told me a story about how he went to the Cape and there was no fast food anywhere, half hour later I had my bait and was on my way. Very Happy He's a good guy though and has tons of info.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 pm

I believe the Bait Bucket went under a couple years ago. I live in waltham, so when I started fishing a few months ago I looked it up online, popped the address into my gps, then proceeded to drive up and down that stretch of main street without finding it.

I generally go to the natick outdoor store... that's a bit of a hike from brighton, but if your fishing is only confined by "within 495", you've probably driven past it already. Next time you take rt9 west to your favorite fishing hole, keep your eye out for rt27, take it south about a mile, and turn left on North Ave (it's the One Way a couple blocks from the big intersection with 135). The employees in the fishing department are always friendly and helpful, and always willing to talk fishing. The selection is pretty solid, prices are competitive, and they are probably getting ready to open an airline or something with all the money I keep giving them. Wink

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:20 am

Dick is a real good guy and quite the talker. Unfortunately, He's been in the hospital since April. He got hit by a drunk driver. I called the shop( friends and family are filling in) yesterday and I was told he is doing well and could be back behind the counter next week.

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Good looks guys, appreciate the suggestions. This Dick fellow seems to be a bit of a legend. I hope hes ok, and look forward to talking plugs with him in the future.

LarryLunk

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 am

bullshark

Dick is a real good guy and quite the talker. Unfortunately, He's been in the hospital since April. He got hit by a drunk driver. I called the shop( friends and family are filling in) yesterday and I was told he is doing well and could be back behind the counter next week.

yes he broke both arms and legs among other things. Dick is a great guy and yes he can talk your ear off. Unfortunately his son told me he will most likely retire. He is a character for sure.

Does anyone remember teh previous owner Chet ?

Chet was good people.

Kman

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:56 am

kman

bullshark

yes he broke both arms and legs among other things. Dick is a great guy and yes he can talk your ear off. Unfortunately his son told me he will most likely retire. He is a character for sure.

Does anyone remember teh previous owner Chet ?

Chet was good people.

Kman

Thanks for the update. Dick's been talking about retiring for a while, so I'm not too surprised. I've only been going there for about a year, so I don't remember Chet but I'm glad to hear that the shop has been around through previous ownerships and that it apparently is a solid fixture within the fishing community. It's the only good, reliable one I know of in the area.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:26 am

Another vote for Arlington Bait and Tackle.

Posted Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 pm

The Bait Bucket in waltham is long gone! For at least a year now. The Arlington shop or Natick outdoor store is your best bet.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 am

I'll have to concur about Arlington Bait and Tackle, that's my go to place, not far from where I live.

Within 495 there is also Jim's Quickstop off 3A in Billerica. They've got a great selection of various tackle, soft baits, particularly Yamamoto, live bait, drinks and snacks, ice and even beer! Truly one stop shopping for a long day of fishing. They are very helpful with advice too. That's where I picked up the Skippyfish soft bait on a recommendation that I've had a lot of luck with this summer.

The chinese restaurant next door is really good too if you are into really hot spicy food.

Posted Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that Jim's Quickstop out. I love that they have a website. That's the one thing I wish Arlington Bait had. I think they would totally clean house if they had one.

Posted Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 am

I saw Dick tonight over at Arlington bait. Poor guy hes been through alot. The drunk driver that hit him was a 22 year old girl.

I hope she pays a heavy price for what she did to him.

It was great to see him in there.

Posted Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for the update on Dick..Do you happen to know if he's back full-time yet or when he's usually around? I was there a couple of weeks ago at Noon and his Nephew was still manning the place.

Posted Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links