Hollow body frogging:

Lures: Any make hollow body frogging(I prefer spro and cheap scum frog)

Rods: 6 1/2 - 7' medium heavy to heavy spinning or baitcaster ( I prefer spinning for lighter scum frog and baitcasting for spro or heavier frog)

Line: 30-60lb BRAID is a must!

Application: Works from pre spawn through fall.

Technique: Cast to intended target like slop,pads,laydowns..over hangs,weed edges,etc...There is afew different ways I like to fish it... Cast,let the frog sit for 5-10 seconds,start moving frog with small twitch,twitch pause technique...always pause before you get to an opening in pads,weeds etc...unless of course the fish are attacking anything that moves...The other technique I like to use, is very fast paced..cast and twitch back to the boat with maybe pausing once or twice in between,this gives the fish no time to make a decision ..keep rod low when working frog

Tips: Ok the hookset...I usually dont wait, when the fish hits,I set the hook like I'm trying to brake it...but I know alot out there are so anxious that when they see the visual strike, they set the hook before the fish has really taken it under...if thats the case,look away while working it,this helps with buzzbaits too..set on the noise* of the explosion

Ok here is where things get interesting...a good friend showed me this technique years back..ever come up to a great over hang you just couldnt skip under,or it was difficult to pitch a jig into etc..you know the ones you can tell or see they have water under them for a good distance? Well...cast your frog into that over hang ,and feed line to the frog jiggling if you have to ,to get it to fall so it hits water..sometimes you will only see the ripples on the water that tells you its hitting the water...and then get ready for that noise* of the explosion!! Most fish have not seen anything in those areas and will viciously attack anything that enters that space...if nothing happens in the first couple seconds of hitting he water,jig the frog up/down,stopping afew times to pause...you have to have a stout rod and line setup and be ready to plow into that over hang if you dont rip the fish out of it when you set the hook..

Good luck out there..best wishes

Last edited by anglerinma on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 am

lol kman

i'd like to see some information on jigs. the only time jigs work for me (and well, at that) is sight fishing bass on their beds. once the post spawn hits, I've never caught a fish on a jig (and by jig, i mean specifically a skirted jig)

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 am

Ask and you shall recieve:

Technique Name: Pitching, flipping and skipping
Recommended Lures:Jig and Pig and #11 black uncle josh pork frog
Recommended Rod: 7'Medium heavy to heavy baitcaster for flipping and pitching 6' medium heavy for skipping
Recommended Hook: 4/0 or better
Recommended Line: 50lb braid or 17lb floro for baitcaster. 50lb braid for skipping
Recommended Sinker: 1/4 to 3/8 oz
Recommended Application: Relativly Shallow water in and around wood, docks, rocks, trees and overhangs
Technique Description: For Pitching and flipping hold the jig in your hand and use a pendulium action releasing the jig and letting it swing toward its intended target. When I 1st got into pitching I would set up a coffe can in my yard and practice daily pitcing to the can. For skipping cast at a low angle and have the jig hit the water 5-6' from the intended target. When done correctly the jig will skip across the water 1-2 times and land on target. With both techniques WATCH YOUR LINE as soon as the bait hits the water. A "jump in the line or it looking like it has touched bottom too soon means HOOKSET time. Set HARD. Cross the fished eyes. No such thing as too hard a hookset. If no pipck up on the initial cast , short hop or drag it once or twice. If it feels mushy or different. HOOKSET. If nothing after a couple hops or drags, reel in and repete. If you do set and its a fish... keep em coming to clear the cover then play em out in open water but with braid you should be able to dominate them and bring them right to the net.
Look for cover in deeper water but I have caught them in as little as 6". Dont pussyfoot around. Make your 1st cast count. Pitch it or skip it to the thickest part of the cover you are fishing. Worry about getting the fish out after you hook them.

Additional Comments:
Colors do not matter black, brown, black and blue. black and brown all work. Pick one you like and stick with it. No need to have 15 different color combos. I throw straight black with black pork 90% of the time. For super clear water you might want to go with some brown and /or watermelon mixed in for some contrast.
I only fish jigs with built in rattles. Its what I have confidence in. I know others that not only dont use rattles but hate rattles. Its a personal preference. Don't buy your jigs from BPS. 90% of what they have sucks. Tackle warehouse has a much better quality selection.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks Rich.
I had a huge right up and i got busy and was logged off maff site. I lost all my post.
I really wanted to just write "ASK STRATOS" Very Happy
Seriously guys. His knowledge is awesome!

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Techniques compiled into post #1 on account of all the sick info here.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 am

Question about pitching: Do you strip out line before the pitch (if so, how much) or do you pitch with an open bail/unlocked baitcaster?

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am

bcodkind

Question about pitching: Do you strip out line before the pitch (if so, how much) or do you pitch with an open bail/unlocked baitcaster?

what do you mean by open? yes, you want to disengage the spool before making the pitch since you're going to be tossing the lure to a target and want to do that before starting the pitching motion.

you usually want enough line out so you can hold your lure right next to the reel. that will give you a good natural pendulum motion that keeps the lure close to the water when you drop the rod tip / lure and swing it out. a lot of youtube videos out there showing good pitching / flipping techniques.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Do you leave the hook guard on your jigs? It seems like it could stop the hook from setting, meaning you would just pull it out of the fish's mouth when you set. By hook guard, i'm referring to the plastic bristles that reach out over the hook

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I MUST TELL YOU, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST THREADS I HAVE SEEN ON MAFF, WELL DONE GUYS AND THANK YOU!

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm

When I was 1st starting out I had guys showing me all these modifications they were making. Triming down the weedguard, spreading it out, removing some of it entirerly, triming the skirt to the bend in the hook. I used to do it all. I used to lose a lot of jigs Laughing A lot of this was before braided line came out and before quality rod materials were in use. With todays advances. I take a jig out of the box, tie it on and go fishing. I have no problem setting the hook and catching the fish. Like I said , you want to set hard. Drop the rod tip reel up slack and DRILL EM!!. If you skimp out on the line or the rod your catch ratio will go down.
Sam makes a great point. There are tons of videos on youtube of guys pitching. Go watch one and see what they are doing. Not many guys flip anymore. Fliping is done in extream close quarters. YOu actually take out 6-8' of line , hold it out away from the reel, swing your bait into the spot and then let the line go so the bait falls in. Like I said, not done a lot anymore. reels have come a long way and it is a lot easier to pitch today then it was 15years ago.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Piling onto the jig questions....I find that when either I bring in a fish or are caught up in the muck when reeling in my line will sink into the spool, and the next cast is horrible or doesnt move at all. Is this something that is just part of pitching into heavy cover or am I missing something?

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

My guess would be that the line that's already on your reel is too loose, maybe restring with some decent tension?

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:37 pm

That is one I'll pass on . Sorry to hear about the broken rod.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Here's how Bill Dance does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BLggf-mqs&feature=b-vrec

Boy is it funny Very Happy

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I pee my pants laughing whenever I see him holding that trolling motor and its going nuts!!

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links