Updated, thanks for the additions samf.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am

stratos1966

samf

Technique Name: Drop shot
Recommended Lures: Reins, Roboworm, Z-man
Recommended Rod: 6'8" - 7' medium light with an extra fast tip. Ok fine, G. Loomis NRX 822S DSR 6'10" Mag Medium / XF
Recommended Line: 6-8 lb. fluoro.
Recommended Application: This is typically a deep water vertical presentation although you can cast and drag or even modify the setup for shallower water or "power shotting."
Technique: Most of the time I'm fishing 20+ feet of water using electronics to watch my drop shot rig fall through the water column and watching the fish react ad even hit the rig in real time.
Tips: Pay attention to how the fish react to the drop shot. If they don't react, try a different color, lure, or action. Some people like to shake the rig in place. I don't get a lot of bites when I shake it. It's more natural to let it sit there and let the current create a natural motion. Also, your natural hand movements will make the setup move a lot more than you think so you don't need to overdo it.

Technique Name: Topwater - Walking the dog
Recommended Lures: Spooks, LC Sammy, LC Gunfish
Recommended Rod: 6'6" - 7' M or MH rod with a moderate / moderate fast tip. You want give in the tip to help with walking.
Recommended Line: 10-12 lb. mono. It floats and the stretch helps with hook sets and makes walking easier.
Recommended Application: Open water, weed lines, around cover. Wherever.
Technique Description: Downward jerking cadence on slack line while reeling in the slack. Try everything from a constant walk to a stop and go or walk / pause / walk.
Additional Comments: Topwater usually gets going around the spawn through the fall.

Technique Name: Pitching / Flipping
Recommended Lures: Anything you can texas rig on a stout straight shank hook like a Mustad Grip Pin
Recommended Rod: A long heavy rod is key here for accuracy, distance, picking up line etc. 7 - 7'6" flipping stick with a lot of backbone but some give in the tip.
Recommended Hook: Mustad Denny Brauer Grip Pin Max Flippin' Hook or Strike King Hack Attack
Recommended Line: 50 - 65 lb. braid
Recommended Sinker: 1/4 to 3/4 oz
Recommended Application: Wood, docks, rocks, trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique Description: Lots of videos out there on proper technique. Hold the lure in your hand and drop the rod tip as you let go of the lure. It's a pendulum motion and you need to feather the line with your thumb.

Technique Name: Frogs
Recommended Lures: Spro, Koppers
Recommended Rod: 7' - 7'5" Heavy with a fast tip.
Recommended Line: Nothing less than 50 lb. braid unless you're fishing open water.
Recommended Application: The usual - In and and around wood, docks, but they really excel around trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique: You can either pull it, twitch it, or walk it. Figure out what's working best. I like walking the frog in place in and around sparse weeds. This will really draw a strike when the standard twitch won't. You'll want a rod with a little give in the tip to help make it walk.
Tips: I personally wait on the hookset until I feel the fish. I rarely miss a frog fish now b/c I force myself to wait. Teabag em. Toss a frog on top of a bush or overhang and drop it right down in the shade. Bass will jump right out and hook themselves. You need heavy gear to yank them out.

Show off!!!

Seriously I hope you did this while you were at work

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am

haha stratos...coming from the guy who wrote a novel for each technique. you should add ones for swimbaits and punching.

Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am

I gota go get another beer to read this thread...............

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links