Classic! I like the trailer hitch to the shin.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:43 pm

biggz53

Piling onto the jig questions....I find that when either I bring in a fish or are caught up in the muck when reeling in my line will sink into the spool, and the next cast is horrible or doesnt move at all. Is this something that is just part of pitching into heavy cover or am I missing something?

Just part of it. Happens when you set on a fish close up to.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 pm

The number one key to a jig I feel is patience. During the spring try doing a little sight fishing with it and throw it into or near a bed. You will be amazed at how long a fish will sometimes stare at a jig before striking.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm

brazzy

The number one key to a jig I feel is patience. During the spring try doing a little sight fishing with it and throw it into or near a bed. You will be amazed at how long a fish will sometimes stare at a jig before striking.

also you'd be amazed at how long they have it in their mouth without you knowing unless you're paying attention

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:50 pm

shawneramone

brazzy

also you'd be amazed at how long they have it in their mouth without you knowing unless you're paying attention

I never have a problem knowing its in her mouth

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

stratos1966

shawneramone

brazzy

must be a smallmouth

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote="shawneramone"]
stratos1966

shawneramone

brazzy

must be a smallmouth
Shocked

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 am

Wanted to bump this for our newer members and for additional write ups....

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm

i throw out a few of my personal set ups later. maybe the original post can be updated with ore general setups and specs to keep things simple.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46 pm

samf

i throw out a few of my personal set ups later. maybe the original post can be updated with ore general setups and specs to keep things simple.

Will it be your drop shot perhaps????

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Shocked Very Happy boag hogs hahaha

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

flymaster1

samf

Will it be your drop shot perhaps????

jerkbait jk. i haven't caught anything on a drop shot and have barely touched it this year.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Sorry nothing to add yet, still learning here. Just wanted to added great post Josh!, Deep stuff man Bookmark this one
Thx

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Technique Name: Drop shot
Recommended Lures: Reins, Roboworm, Z-man
Recommended Rod: 6'8" - 7' medium light with an extra fast tip. Ok fine, G. Loomis NRX 822S DSR 6'10" Mag Medium / XF
Recommended Line: 6-8 lb. fluoro.
Recommended Application: This is typically a deep water vertical presentation although you can cast and drag or even modify the setup for shallower water or "power shotting."
Technique: Most of the time I'm fishing 20+ feet of water using electronics to watch my drop shot rig fall through the water column and watching the fish react ad even hit the rig in real time.
Tips: Pay attention to how the fish react to the drop shot. If they don't react, try a different color, lure, or action. Some people like to shake the rig in place. I don't get a lot of bites when I shake it. It's more natural to let it sit there and let the current create a natural motion. Also, your natural hand movements will make the setup move a lot more than you think so you don't need to overdo it.

Technique Name: Topwater - Walking the dog
Recommended Lures: Spooks, LC Sammy, LC Gunfish
Recommended Rod: 6'6" - 7' M or MH rod with a moderate / moderate fast tip. You want give in the tip to help with walking.
Recommended Line: 10-12 lb. mono. It floats and the stretch helps with hook sets and makes walking easier.
Recommended Application: Open water, weed lines, around cover. Wherever.
Technique Description: Downward jerking cadence on slack line while reeling in the slack. Try everything from a constant walk to a stop and go or walk / pause / walk.
Additional Comments: Topwater usually gets going around the spawn through the fall.

Technique Name: Pitching / Flipping
Recommended Lures: Anything you can texas rig on a stout straight shank hook like a Mustad Grip Pin
Recommended Rod: A long heavy rod is key here for accuracy, distance, picking up line etc. 7 - 7'6" flipping stick with a lot of backbone but some give in the tip.
Recommended Hook: Mustad Denny Brauer Grip Pin Max Flippin' Hook or Strike King Hack Attack
Recommended Line: 50 - 65 lb. braid
Recommended Sinker: 1/4 to 3/4 oz
Recommended Application: Wood, docks, rocks, trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique Description: Lots of videos out there on proper technique. Hold the lure in your hand and drop the rod tip as you let go of the lure. It's a pendulum motion and you need to feather the line with your thumb.

Technique Name: Frogs
Recommended Lures: Spro, Koppers
Recommended Rod: 7' - 7'5" Heavy with a fast tip.
Recommended Line: Nothing less than 50 lb. braid unless you're fishing open water.
Recommended Application: The usual - In and and around wood, docks, but they really excel around trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique: You can either pull it, twitch it, or walk it. Figure out what's working best. I like walking the frog in place in and around sparse weeds. This will really draw a strike when the standard twitch won't. You'll want a rod with a little give in the tip to help make it walk.
Tips: I personally wait on the hookset until I feel the fish. I rarely miss a frog fish now b/c I force myself to wait. Teabag em. Toss a frog on top of a bush or overhang and drop it right down in the shade. Bass will jump right out and hook themselves. You need heavy gear to yank them out.

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:02 pm

samf

Technique Name: Drop shot
Recommended Lures: Reins, Roboworm, Z-man
Recommended Rod: 6'8" - 7' medium light with an extra fast tip. Ok fine, G. Loomis NRX 822S DSR 6'10" Mag Medium / XF
Recommended Line: 6-8 lb. fluoro.
Recommended Application: This is typically a deep water vertical presentation although you can cast and drag or even modify the setup for shallower water or "power shotting."
Technique: Most of the time I'm fishing 20+ feet of water using electronics to watch my drop shot rig fall through the water column and watching the fish react ad even hit the rig in real time.
Tips: Pay attention to how the fish react to the drop shot. If they don't react, try a different color, lure, or action. Some people like to shake the rig in place. I don't get a lot of bites when I shake it. It's more natural to let it sit there and let the current create a natural motion. Also, your natural hand movements will make the setup move a lot more than you think so you don't need to overdo it.

Technique Name: Topwater - Walking the dog
Recommended Lures: Spooks, LC Sammy, LC Gunfish
Recommended Rod: 6'6" - 7' M or MH rod with a moderate / moderate fast tip. You want give in the tip to help with walking.
Recommended Line: 10-12 lb. mono. It floats and the stretch helps with hook sets and makes walking easier.
Recommended Application: Open water, weed lines, around cover. Wherever.
Technique Description: Downward jerking cadence on slack line while reeling in the slack. Try everything from a constant walk to a stop and go or walk / pause / walk.
Additional Comments: Topwater usually gets going around the spawn through the fall.

Technique Name: Pitching / Flipping
Recommended Lures: Anything you can texas rig on a stout straight shank hook like a Mustad Grip Pin
Recommended Rod: A long heavy rod is key here for accuracy, distance, picking up line etc. 7 - 7'6" flipping stick with a lot of backbone but some give in the tip.
Recommended Hook: Mustad Denny Brauer Grip Pin Max Flippin' Hook or Strike King Hack Attack
Recommended Line: 50 - 65 lb. braid
Recommended Sinker: 1/4 to 3/4 oz
Recommended Application: Wood, docks, rocks, trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique Description: Lots of videos out there on proper technique. Hold the lure in your hand and drop the rod tip as you let go of the lure. It's a pendulum motion and you need to feather the line with your thumb.

Technique Name: Frogs
Recommended Lures: Spro, Koppers
Recommended Rod: 7' - 7'5" Heavy with a fast tip.
Recommended Line: Nothing less than 50 lb. braid unless you're fishing open water.
Recommended Application: The usual - In and and around wood, docks, but they really excel around trees, overhangs, pads, slop, weeds, brush
Technique: You can either pull it, twitch it, or walk it. Figure out what's working best. I like walking the frog in place in and around sparse weeds. This will really draw a strike when the standard twitch won't. You'll want a rod with a little give in the tip to help make it walk.
Tips: I personally wait on the hookset until I feel the fish. I rarely miss a frog fish now b/c I force myself to wait. Teabag em. Toss a frog on top of a bush or overhang and drop it right down in the shade. Bass will jump right out and hook themselves. You need heavy gear to yank them out.

Show off!!!

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links