Does anyone have any tips on trout fishing? I like to learn more about trout. When the water gets colder & the bass fishing slows, I'd like to still get out & catch fish instead of just getting out & freezing my ass off. I caught 3 when they where stocked in the spring. I had a panther martin inline spinner tied on. Never had any luck with trout dough which seems to be the most common bait. I'd like to learn about trolling too. Go Fish

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:03 pm

last year my #1 lure was a mepps disco blade and i caught my trout along with all fish with this lure.. it has a long thin spoon on it

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:44 pm

My bro has been killing the trout this spring with berkley power bait salmon eggs. Be sure to get the regular berkley power eggs and not the gulp ones as they are not the same and not as affective.

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 am

Also trying to get into trout, what size hooks, float no float, what other recs can you give? Thanks for the input.

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

from my expertise:

- the most important is to have the bait float over the ground
- as tiny hooks as possible
- troutbait that stinks real bad works best

bevor you cast test if your setup floats hook small baitball decent not bigger then two cernels of corn

then cast nice and sit back relax enjoy the show

also what works good: tiny shiners on the bottom from boat or kajak that attracts the real huge fish- but make sure rod is ready for a megablast cause he will take off like a jet

Posted Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 am

Just caught my first trout using your tips. Thanks man!

Posted Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm

I'd really like to catch my first trout but I don't have the patience to just let powerbait float above the ground for 20 minutes. I like to cast and retrieve. How do you catch trout "actively?" I've heard white inline spinners are good. Do I let them sink for a while? What's the retrieve? Or is there a better lure out there for trout?

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

Marshmallow any color with meal worm and small hook,any depth that they are holding, light weight sinker. Also light line, low visability green line!
all color roostertails

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 pm

fishingrookie

Also trying to get into trout, what size hooks, float no float, what other recs can you give? Thanks for the input.

I have heard two schools of thought on hook size from two different established trout fisherman.
-First guy insists on very small hooks, the smallest possible that will still hold your bait.
-The other guy insists on a larger hook than expected.

I bought an Eagle Claw Trout hook assortment that comes with 3 different size hooks and two different style shapes (standard shape with back barbs and salmon egg shape). They have leaders attached but they are really short leaders and should either have an extension tied to them or get rid of the provided leader altogether and just use the hooks. What I was getting at was that this assortment is under $4 and it has more than adequate variety of size and shape wether you want to go small or a little bigger.

I tend to go a little bigger than you would expect and have done well. But I always make sure that the hook isn't too heavy. You want it to be light enough to float directly straight up from you sinker when you have floating bait attached.

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

no problem mate
- if your are bored sitting there and watch the paint dry

if you see they are top water action active use a tiny crank bait shaped like grasshopper or like a wasp /bee usually swim on top and make a great rattle when u real them

also tiny shiners work wonders

Posted Sun May 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I have a good amount of luck this spring so far with trout. My biggest 'go-to' lure is a gold Kastmaster. I have caught 4 rainbows, 1 brookie and 2 browns on a gold Kastmaster. With Powerbait I caught 1 rainbow.

I don't like to use Powerbait because I don't like to wait. I like to move around the shore or try to spot top water action if they're feeding and cast near that spot.

I caught trout in Jamaica Pond, Lake Cochituate, Ashland Res, Hop Res and Whitehall. It seems, that is all I could pretty much catch... half of the time I was targeting bass, ha ha.

I don't have luck with a spinner which is a perfect trout lure, so I hear. People look at me funny when I mention Kastmaster. I use the 3/8 oz and the 1/4 oz.

I also try to locate 'fish lanes' when I go for trout.

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Mepps Agila is the best lure for trout of any kind. I got almoast any species of fresh water fish on it. Very good lure!!! I got a lots of SM & LM Bass on the Mepps too!!! They are about $4.50 a peace up to $10.00 a peace but they are every bit worth it. Good luck...

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 pm

gorgeousviolette

I don't have luck with a spinner which is a perfect trout lure, so I hear. People look at me funny when I mention Kastmaster. I use the 3/8 oz and the 1/4 oz.

Kastmasters and Krocodiles are good bets, you can cast them a mile and they kinda flutter down to the bottom...therefore you can cover a lot of water!

As for the Mepps...they are good for every species. Try a 0 or 1 for trout, gold or silver spoon, no skirt, #3 or #4 for bass (smallies crush these things), and anything 4 and up for pike. I'm a big Mepps fan when I'm fishing somewhat weed free water.

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Small jerkbaits,( Countdown Rapala, Jointed Rapala), inline spinners, small spoons. They all work Exclamation

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Go Fish Caught my first Trout using green power bait with an egg sinker 3/8 oz, along with a 3 foot 6lb test leader and a #10 hook. At Horn Pond Woburn. 7:30 am Saturday 7 April 2012. Good Luck

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links