Jamaica pond, Houghtons, White and Walden done

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Anybody know if Horns been stocked? Or have the email address for the Northeast DFW Office? I couldn't find it...

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:24 pm

teamtrout

Anybody know if Horns been stocked? Or have the email address for the Northeast DFW Office? I couldn't find it...

my post above is from dfw, call and get the voice message for trout stocking

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I like fishing for trout. I just hat how people go and ruin it by taking all the fish right as they are stocked. I fished houghtons 2 weeks ago and hit about 5 trout and had a blast. I had plans to go there tomorrow morning but now knowing everyone will be out there cause its stocked to go shoot fish in a barrell and take every fish they catch I will not be heading out there. Ive caught about 15 trout in the past 2 weeks. Didnt keep any of them, I would rather enjoy catching them again rather then bleeding out a pond.

Yes i understand some people like to eat them, and its their right with the licsnces..... IF they have one. But it kind of ruins the fun of fishing to just try and clean out a pond.

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Hey, I'm with ya'. Some people only fish for them for one week (right after stocking), which is fine, except they pull out 15 trout in that week. I usually do fish for them right after stocking, and will keep one or two for dinner, one night, if I am catching a bunch. I don't see a problem as long as you limit the amount you keep to 1 or 2 (and I don't mean keeping 2 every day, just every now and then).

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:42 pm

My spots hete in western mass are stocked. Happy Happy Happy..

Posted Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Houghtons is not too far from my parents house so I stopped by for a walk around today since it was stocked this week. I saw a ton of guys out there fishing (coming out for the twice a year fishing trips after stocking). Saw about 6 5gallon white buckets, 1 guy who had 5 trout in one of the buckets. Half the people out there were fishing with heavy tackle like they were in the ocean.

Worst part was walking down by the water I saw more used line, worm containers and hook packages on the ground. I was there a few times in the past month and it was no where near as bad as that.

I am all for catching fish, which ever way you would like, live bait, rubber worms ect. But that shouldnt mean you come out only when you can catch fish non stop because they were just stocked. Some think you arent "fishing" unless you do it their way (not use rubbers, or live bait) but Cmon atleast follow a few rules.

I told a guy that he could get busted if hes caught with extra fish, told me its none of my business and hes just trying to fish. call to the EPA, didnt see anything during the rest of my 15 min walk.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:27 pm

It's really too bad that people keep more than their limit; just ruining it for everyone else. Good job warning him though. Everyone should contact the Environmental Police if you see poaching. If nobody speaks up, there will be no trout left!

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:29 pm

dont they need to be a certain size to keep? not enough E police out there, but hey, from my experience they are real dicks! i catch and release! only fish i plan on keeping is a state record!!

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm

I believe the only size restrictions apply to lake trout and trout caught from the Houstanic.

And yeah, it seems like occasionally I will see 3-5 Environmental Police Officers all patrolling one pond, usually where nothing is happening.
But then I never see any at Ponds like Walden (and others that were recently stocked), where there is some illegal activity going on. It just seems like spreading out the officers would be more effective.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 am

There is a brook by me which has some beautiful brookies. I believe they are natives. Ive posted some pictures of them. They range from between 4-10 inches from what I have caught. ( Dont think they would stock 4 inch fish) but I see people taking the small ones. Its not even worth the meat you can get off them. They are such a beautiful fish as well.

Another pet peeve is how fragile trout are and some dont make it even after they are un hooked. But I see people just ripping hooks out of them or not even trying to remove the hook and fish swimming around with 3 feet of line trailing behind them.... Ive seen people stepping on the trout while trying to unhook them, ive seen people unhook then litterally toss the fish 15 feet out. GET A CLUE

If you dont want to unhook a fish then dont fish

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:09 pm

[quote="teamtrout"]I believe the only size restrictions apply to lake trout and trout caught from the Houstanic.

there's only a size limit on lakers in the Quabbin 18", not on wachusett, and there is a brown trout size limit on south pond in brookfield 15". i thought there was a brown trout size limit on white's pond too, but i'm not sure if that's still the case. i've never fished there

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:52 pm

There are a few places where Brown trout have a size Limit . You can only keep 1 and they have to be over 15 inches .. Also when you see the people ripping hooks out its usually because they use Dough bait like power bait ..By the time they get off their asses and grab the rod the fish has SWALLOWED the hook.. I would not be sad if that crap was banned ..There would be less dead fish in the waters ... Go Fish

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links