Thanks again for the tips, guys.

Unfortunately, I'm shorebound which will for sure limit my catch rate.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:19 pm

sharkbait76

Unfortunately, I'm shorebound which will for sure limit my catch rate.

Probably not as much as you would think. Walden is probably my favorite pond to shore fish, since you can walk all the way around. And a lot of the fish are tight to the shore. Well you certainly would have more options from a boat, going from shore should be pretty good too.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Walden is an interesting place. The water and shoreline are clean, it’s beautiful there (especially in the evening) and you can walk around the whole pond. I've caught some LMB on small square-bills in the summer.

I have to agree with Shawn though; the swimmers have no respect for fishermen. I also think the place is a magnet for crazies. I've had swimmers yell at me, stop in front of me to take a break or just glare at me. I've been waiting for things to cool down with the hopes that it would be less crowded.

I went back this week and with the cooler temps there are fewer swimmers. There are still crazies. An old man in a kayak decided to stop 30 feet off shore in front of me and just stare at me for 5 minutes. Not sure what that was about.

I only caught one bluegill on a silver Kastmaster, but I saw a few brownies swimming along the shoreline. DFW says they stocked trout this week, but I think that was after I went. It should be good now.

Good Luck! Let us know how do.

Posted Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Agreed on the swimmers. Went there on a nice Saturday this summer, and I couldn't make a cast, even in the middle of the lake. These nitwits decide they need to swim all the way across the lake, in every direction.

I overheard one of the rangers talking to someone and saying that they're not supposed to be swimming out in the middle and all over the place like they do. I think he said they were going to be working on it though.

Too many people for my liking, but its nice for a paddle.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:11 am

Theres a roped off swimming section, right? Why don't people just swim there?!

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:13 am

teamtrout

Theres a roped off swimming section, right? Why don't people just swim there?!

Mostly kids swim in the roped off area in front of the beach. There are tons of older swimmers who like to challenge themselves by swimming across the pond. It is much better now as the water is cooling, but there are a few diehards in wet suits. You should give it a try, but I would go during the week if you can.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 am

Just a little tip White's Pond and Walden where stocked Thursday.
Mostly rainbows very small ones I have heard that they won't be stocking browns until mid October.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 am

I guess I'll just stick with Horn Pond, then.

There are quite a few spots around the pond where you can go and be all by yourself for hours. And that's the way I like it.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Horn is my favorite pond for trout. Do you know where they stock it from? I always see dozens of people at the "boat ramp" area on the thin walkway between the lagoon and Horn Pond, but this doesn't seem like the easiest spot to stock it from.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:54 pm

As far as I know they stock it from the ramp in the main parking lot.

Someone once told me they sometimes alternate between the two ramps.

Posted Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:39 pm

the swimmers go away later in the fall. it is really deep but depending on conditions, weather, and water levels the fish aren't that deep.

lots of 1.25-2.5 lb. bass there.

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 am

samf

the swimmers go away later in the fall. it is really deep but depending on conditions, weather, and water levels the fish aren't that deep.

lots of 1.25-2.5 lb. bass there.

Thanks for the heads up Sam! I have to go back later. What works for you out there? I've had luck with a Bitsy Wiggler. It's super small and light so I use an UL trout rod with 4# line. SO much fun with a 1 to 2 lb. bass on the line!

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Hey everyone
Think I can give you some tips on Walden Pond with over 40 years of fishing it myself. Yes it is a great pond to fish I must say, but the swimmers Rolling Eyes with that said, it's been for me, the last few years a early morning, late even spot. Right now if you like topwater fishing for bass, now is the time. My choice of lure is the Lunker Punkers, but the Zarra Spook can be deadly also.

Trout if you don't mind the walk, by all means go down back to the deep water, you never know how big a trout you can catch there. The only problem is the fence that surrounds the pond. If the waters high, waders are a must, even they won't guarantee you access. Can remember times of catching 4-5lb Brown Trout through the ice with smelt pouring out of their mouths. That all change when they introduce largemouth bass into the pond Crying or Very sad

One good tip that I can give is , Brown Trout here turn on during rainy days, it's amazing the fish that are in here and can be caught with WORMS yes WORMS

Two Browns I took back to back on blown up crawers

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Great tips! Those are some nice browns too!

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks
There's much bigger Browns in Walden

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links