How big do you think they get in there? I guess it is pretty deep, and could hold a few real giants.

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Ice fishing there one year, the Lincoln fire department was doing their yearly ice rescue, they would go in with scuba diving gear. When one of the guys came over to us and asked what we we're fishing for, we told him trout, then he says to us he seen a trout under the ice that he would not approach...... Me personally, I seen a 12lber come out of Walden.

Whites can be another good spot if your looking for other places to fish

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 pm

grizz

Ice fishing there one year, the Lincoln fire department was doing their yearly ice rescue, they would go in with scuba diving gear. When one of the guys came over to us and asked what we we're fishing for, we told him trout, then he says to us he seen a trout under the ice that he would not approach...... Me personally, I seen a 12lber come out of Walden.

Thats crazy! I may have to get out there again soon.

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm

This is the time of the year for Walden trout are active. My own
personal success has been to the left of the ramp follow the path or
walk the shore line. There are some real good points that can get you into deeper water. There are always hold overs in there and the bass fishing there is excellent at the crack of dawn to waters can be fun but only for a short period. If you got a trout line sitting out waiting try a wacky rig senco with some worm pegs for bass.

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:46 am

does anyone know why trout are so fragile? it seems like they want to keel over and die if they're touched at all.

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:09 pm

The state-bred trout are not very hardy, and are hurt more by basic procedures (playing and landing the fish).

But I'm not sure I know what you're referring to... Do you mean whenever you handle them they start to lose their energy?

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:38 pm

grizz

Whites can be another good spot if your looking for other places to fish

How would you compare the fishing at whites to walden. i fished whites last weekend and trolled for about 2 hours with 2 lines in the water and only came up with a small 12 inch rainbow... is there anything you suggest to better my chances

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm

samf

does anyone know why trout are so fragile? it seems like they want to keel over and die if they're touched at all.

Trout in general are fragile, no rhyme or reason, they just are. i know you are supposed to handle brookies with wet hands at all times! if you handle a brookie with dry hands and then release it back into the wild they develop an infection and will most likely die. just a lil tip if you're ever brookie fishing

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 pm

bigbassfrommass

i know you are supposed to handle brookies with wet hands at all times! if you handle a brookie with dry hands and then release it back into the wild they develop an infection and will most likely die. just a lil tip if you're ever brookie fishing

Its a good idea to do this with any sort of trout, not just brookies. There are some more recent studies showing that dry hands may not actually remove the protective coat, but it only takes a second to wet your hands, so better to just do it.

And as bigbassfrommass said, trout are just fragile in general. I guess if you want to release them safely (if you are C&R fishing) be careful when landing them and removing the hook.

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:53 pm

teamtrout

bigbassfrommass

i know you are supposed to handle brookies with wet hands at all times! if you handle a brookie with dry hands and then release it back into the wild they develop an infection and will most likely die. just a lil tip if you're ever brookie fishing

Its a good idea to do this with any sort of trout, not just brookies. There are some more recent studies showing that dry hands may not actually remove the protective coat, but it only takes a second to wet your hands, so better to just do it.

And as bigbassfrommass said, trout are just fragile in general. I guess if you want to release them safely (if you are C&R fishing) be careful when landing them and removing the hook.

It is true that trout can be very fragile most especially farm trout.
But as a trout grows they tend to be a little tougher,at no time should you handle a trout near its gills. They do have a protective film on there bodies if you are fishing to eat them that is one thing.
If you are doing it for sport use a barb less hook it is less stress on them and easier to release. If you can use forceps or pliers too remove the hook with the fish still in the water.

Walden always has hold overs they can get big in there.

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:31 pm

I plan to go sometime this week in the evening around 3-6. I will be trolling, would you say the hold overs are more opt to bite at an artificial lure rather than a worm or powerbait?

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:30 pm

In my personal experience I would troll a deep diving Davis rig tipped with a large night crawler. From the deep shore line to the right of the beach and work my out to deeper water towards he middle and swing around back slowly. Hope this helps.

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:48 pm

flymaster1

In my personal experience I would troll a deep diving Davis rig tipped with a large night crawler. From the deep shore line to the right of the beach and work my out to deeper water towards he middle and swing around back slowly. Hope this helps.

sure does, thanks! the rig i use to get down deep is lead line with a dipsy diver and then a 6' flurocarbon leader. it gets me down 60'+. I know fishing this time of year depth is not a big factor but its just how i have my rods set up, because i fish up in the rangeley lakes region in maine during mid august when all the fish are 50'+ down. then i have a regular spinning rod with a mini dipsy diver which i use this time of year because it will only reach depth of about 30'

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 pm

teamtrout

The state-bred trout are not very hardy, and are hurt more by basic procedures (playing and landing the fish).

But I'm not sure I know what you're referring to... Do you mean whenever you handle them they start to lose their energy?

i meant what you guys talked about in the next posts. i was with someone that caught one last weekend and it only had a single hook in the side of the mouth. it was barely touched or out of the water and when it was released, it slowly floated up before it struggled to right itself and swim away. it just looked immediately dead.

i guess i didn't know they were that fragile.

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:27 pm

samf

teamtrout

i meant what you guys talked about in the next posts. i was with someone that caught one last weekend and it only had a single hook in the side of the mouth. it was barely touched or out of the water and when it was released, it slowly floated up before it struggled to right itself and swim away. it just looked immediately dead.

i guess i didn't know they were that fragile.

happened to me with a landlocked salmon this summer, i caught it netted it and unhooked it, it was out of the water for maybe 20 seconds, i went to go release it, and it went belly side up... i didnt do anything too abusive, i was as gentle as could be, they dont take trauma too well

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links