Not to mention the fact that our state record is only few ounces less than world record pickerel. I caught a 5+lb pickerel once fought better than any 5 lb larry I've ever caught.

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:03 pm

A little off topic here but I've heard they're very tastey ,boney but good,never tried one myself.

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:17 pm

purpleturkey

A little off topic here but I've heard they're very tastey ,boney but good,never tried one myself.

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:04 pm

samf

is there any science behind this? it would be interesting to see some information on this since MA ponds are full of the slime dart.

there are several ponds I've gone to over the years where every year there are more and more pickerel. sure, they're more aggressive but the sheer numbers have been overwhelming to the point where you can't not catch them. not only that but the bass are all thin and stunted.

or maybe they're just growing in number over the bass and not reducing the bass numbers?

I couldn't disagree more. 2 years ago I would have caught a dozen or more pickerel by now and at least half of them as thick as my arm. I may have caught 4 this year and all small to medium. Or at least where I'm fishing thats what I see.

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Punt a pickeral, save a bass. I have that bumper sticker on my F150

Posted Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Interesting topic, thanks for posting Stump.

Personally, I try to release anything I don't plan to eat with as little stressing of the fish as possible.

Out of curiosity, those with the strong hate for picks (Sam, Sean, Rich) do you guys kill them when you catch them?

I don't really like to catch them but accept it as part of the deal.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:23 am

I thought it would be a great discusion here now if I can only find out if the pickerel haters (Sam, Sean, Rich) are serious and realy kill the fish Laughing

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:18 am

I hate the bastids too! They are brutal to catch when out in the yak. However, I do not go out of my way to try and kill them! It is what it is.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 am

Loved catching them when I was a kid.
Catch and release.

Last edited by chbass on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:30 am

I don't have issues with pickerel. I don't like to catch them but it will happen. I never let them in the boat, I will just boga gripe them over the side and be very deliberate when removing the hook. There could be some delayed mortality with my handling but I rather not get a hook in my hand.

The fish I have a issue with are carp. They absolutely destroy bass populations and that is a fact. They increase turbidity, destroys vegetation, and reduces the small invertebrates that small fish need.

Not enough people harvest carp, in some lakes they need to be netted and used as fertilizer.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:36 am

worst day of fishing I have had in a couple of years today. 10 bass and 10 pickerel, all the bass were dinks except one 4 lb and all the pickerel were huge.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:37 am

oldfisher

worst day of fishing I have had in a couple of years today. 10 bass and 10 pickerel, all the bass were dinks except one 4 lb and all the pickerel were huge.

oldfisher come on 20 fish sounds like a good day Exclamation I think your getting spoiled

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:54 am

stump

oldfisher

oldfisher come on 20 fish sounds like a good day Exclamation I think your getting spoiled

next time you come with me and handle the pickerel

Last edited by oldfisher on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:04 pm

oldfisher

stump

oldfisher

next time you come with me and handle the pickerel

lol i see your point, but I know your a nice guy and set them free for someone else to catch. Maybe someone like (Sam, Sean, Rich)

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:08 pm

I don't mind a pick here and there every once in a while. I've gotten lucky: I haven't even caught one this season! NOT EVEN ONE! People who I've fished with this year have caught them, but I haven't hooked a single one.

Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links