that's starting to look pretty sweet.can't wait to see it with hatches on.

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Nice Job!!!!
But is that scale certified!!!!!!
Does all that gear come with it???
Just kidding, Great build!

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:46 pm

That's a great jon boat mod!
Looks like you really know your stuff.
Keep it coming, I'm taking notes & already planning my next bass boat.

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:27 pm

damon, my rig has been stripped completely! after all last season fishing as much as i did in the weather we had i have found my problems with my rig that needed to be addressed!

storage! storage! storage! dryyyyy storage!
i found myself needing more space all the time and the rain never helped
i used mostly 2x2's for the framing and 1/2 inch finished plywood for the deck itself,
you can see my profile there are pictures there, that was a weekend project 2 full days and i was ready to fish.

HOWEVER! this is a new season and i have done my homework!

since i do not have access to a garage or shop to get my boat deck started i will have to wait probably another month to get going if weather permits of course!

i will be constructing front deck similar to before (little modified), flooring, and rear deck as well. picture progress of course for all you interested in jon boat mods!

not sure yet it if i want to make a permanent livewell i liked having the extra room when not fishing for maff

ill post up as soon as i begin!

Damon keep up the great work! hopefully we can fish in the same boat this year!

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

great work and holy crap look at all of that storage!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am

Is it wrong to have "vessel" envy right now? Shocked

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 am

Alright guys, so here's the next quick update. The friend Im building this boat for stopped in last night to check it out.... needless to say he was more than happy. He hadn't seen it since it was first left here, still hadnt even been sandblasted!!!
Well after seeing whats been done so far hes decided to add a "few" accessories, list is as follows:

-Livewell aerator/recirculator pump
-Bow and stern Nav Lights (3 or 2 wire quick disconnects)
-12v Bow and Stern Accessory Ports
-Front Fishfinder
-Led Deck Lighting
-Compartment Led lights
-Bilge Pump
-Lit and Fused Accessory/Power Panel

All these things will significantly increase the overall cost of the boat in term of parts, however the comfort and "trick" factor cant be beat!! Just not sure if he cleared the additional budget modifications with his wife....
Upon completion Ill try to do a cost breakdown of just the deck and no accessories just to give everyone the base line number for a similiarly constructed deck! Enjoy!

In preparation for the newly requested accessories I figured some prep was in order. With massive amounts of wiring in the furture, wire management is a priority!!
After a trip to the lumber yard, problem solved. 2 peices of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit. Durable, sunlight and moisture resistant, and it conviently fits in the premolded rib that runs along the gunnale!! Note in the photos were to drill through the seat, I prefer this as I feel it doesnt sacrifice the structural intergrity of that flange. I glue it in with 3M 5200 marine grade sealant, 24 hours in clamps, duct tape, bunch of cross sticks wedging the two in, you get the idea, and instant wire runs!! The runs on the Starboard side are for the electronics, the port side will house all the electrical, keeps it interference free!!

Ohh total spent today was: 2.39 per peice so roughly 5.00

Bringing the grand total so far to : 277.00 + 5.00= 282.00
Not bad so far for the boat, paint job, deck frame, livewell, and wire management!!!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm

looks like the hard part is over now the fun parts are coming ha ha good job bro!!! i was wondering what the piped were for and then seen it was for wiring def smart idea!!!never have to see or worry about again!!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:40 pm

great work man, i'm loving this thread keep it up

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

KILLER !...that's a formidable set a' skills...this has TINBOATS.COM written all over it

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

So here's the daily update:

Took a 2 hour lunch and grabbed supplies:

1 sheet 4 x 8 1/2" fir underlayment: 27.00
1 sheet 4 x 4 3/4" PT (Upper Deck): 21.00
2 Cans 3M Spray Adhesive for carpet: 24.00

Total Spent: 72.00
Total So Far: 282.00 + 72.00 = 354.00 (Got all the plywood and adhesive now thou, ohh and 10.00 for a miss mixed gallon of exterior paint, happens all the time just ask!!)
Total : 364.00

Now many are saying why didnt you get marine grade, well its a special order at 75.00 a sheet. I have used it in the past on my conversions, and have found the the best "budget" alternative is 1/2 fir underlayment. Now the trick to this is to make ALL your cuts, holes, exposed edges, then seal the entire thing with 3-4 coats of any exterior house paint. After it has dried I upholster over it, and noone ever knows the difference. The goal of this build was to be as cheap as possible so it drove the final decision. I will note that my current rig has had this same plywood, sealed the same way for over 6years with not one stitch of a problem!! Those of you that may have a "larger" budget however, I would not dissuade you from using marine grade!

Now the plywood was not just layed on top of the boat and traced, actually it never even sat on it!! It was cut by laying out the entire frame, using measurement, out onto the plywood then using the trick in the photos I transferred the compound curve of the hull onto the plywood. Make sure everything is dimensional, those paying attention to the frame photos will have noted the square. If you squared your frame, and it was built of the center line of the boat you can do the same to the deck plywood. Take your time with this, and do it by measurement not tracing, make sure to layout all of your ribs, lids, bracing, etc. This will save you gobs of time when you go to attach this all together. I even laid out bolt centers on all the ribs to speed up fabrication. More time spent on layout means less time later!! If you've done it correctly it will be a "One Cut, one drop" deal as it usually doesnt need any additional trimming if done correctly!! I posted a close up photo of the deck and frame at the bow, notice how the layout matches the position of the frame rails, this is ultimately the result of a proper layout.
The key to success here is take your time and measure 100 times if needed, and always remember to pull your measurements from a common point.

Any questions let me know!!

Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 pm

So had to do 2 updates today!! Actually got a break from my single dad duties, and decide to have dinner on the deck!!!

Now in my run to get dinner I stopped at the hardware store and bought more stainless steel fastners, altogether a total of 40.00

Bring our total to: 404.00

Now I could have gotten cheaper galvanized stuff, but fasteners is where i wont cut corners. These bolts hold the deck to the frame, and the frame to the boat. Should I ever need to remove them I dont want any headaches!!! A little spent here is a wise investment as far as Im concerned.

After cutting in the livewell I finished fastening the deck to the frame, notice how important the layout was!!! I also included shots of the different bolt sizes I used and the thru "ledger" connection that holds the deck in, all removable with the wing nuts. The deck to frame bolts are 1 1/2" 1/4 20 Stainless, and the ledger connection bolts are 3" 1/4 20 Stainless. When installing these start with the deck/frame bolts, when drilling the holes start from the center and work your way out, this will ensure the deck is level. The last holes to be drilled are the deck/ledger bolts, again start in the middle and work your way side to side, making sure the frame is on the ledger all around.
After I moved on to the front deck, this was sized earlier for plano boxes (TALK ABOUT STORAGE Very Happy ) that I keep handy during tourneys. In my own boat because of its higher gunnales i can keep 2 planos stacked up on either side, and a dry storage box with my wallet and essentials. This becomes a permenant fixture in my boats as it is also the platform for the trolling motor and electronics. This way they stay with the boat if Im using it without the deck.

Stay tuned as Ill be moving into my "Dry storage Gutters" (This is for you Chevin!!) under the main deck, removes with the deck, and actually works really well in combination with the storage totes under the deck. Also Note how I overhang the upper deck over the lower, keeps the water moving in the "right" direction!!

Ask questions if you got em!!!

If the last shot doesnt make you wanna go fishing, not sure what will....

Hope you guys are enjoying this I been having a blast with it so far!!!

Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Why did I buy a plastic pelican? I want that!!!!

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:34 am

mmmm amstel light and shredded lettuce, lol

nice work bro!

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 am

johnnybag-a-bass

mmmm amstel light and shredded lettuce, lol

nice work bro!

From the expectations Jaywallz laid down for the tourney at Quabog and a leotard showing, gotta make sure I maintain my figure dont want to dissappoint him!!!! hahahaha Very Happy

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links