sooner or later all spots will be destroyed anyway. I prefer later. More people = less space to fish, more trash, etc etc.

my biggest fish come from public well known places. I prefer to keep my honey holes pristine and in good health.

Hard to believe some of you guys dont see how announcing to the masses how good a place is, has a detrimental effect.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 pm

There is an app called FishBrain where people can post catches and such. People are blowing up spots left and right. It sucks.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Let me ask another question here to all MAFF users...

Why do you use this site if you are against posting reports on local waters? I mean, what's the point of a local fishing website if there are no reports? But a lot of these reports will be exposing somebody's "honey hole", whether the poster realizes it or not.

The point I'm making is that this site wouldn't run without reports and info on local waters. Sure, you can find out some general fishing info, but lets be honest, anyone can get that same info from any other non-local forum. So if everyone hates reports on local waters, then how come this site is still so successful and has so many users?

I know for a fact that a lot of the guys who I see on here all the time - the same guys who are saying this site ruins spots - have posted reports on some of the places that I have my best success at. Even posting a report on some random pond you are fishing for the first time can be exposing someone's "secret pond".

To me it seems like you wouldn't come here if you didn't want to find out where the local bite is. And that doesn't happen without reports. And those don't happen without revealing someone's spot. See what I'm saying?...

Just a question to keep things interesting. I don't know where I stand on this topic yet. But I think teamtrout and khaskins have made the most reasonable arguments so far.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:09 pm

One thing I learned from that FishBrain app is that my "honey hole" is clearly not a secret at all. Not even close. The amount of people posting big fish caught there shows that it's a pretty well-known spot.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

I think the point that was being made with this post, was sure it's OK to share your "honey hole" if you wish too. Just keep it between pms. Anyone who takes the time to register on MAFF & regularly uses it, is probably going to respect other members "spots". And yes no one "owns that spot" but if I put in the work to find that "spot" & it was then posted for everyone to jump on. Yeah, I'd be pissed too.

MAFF is for sharing trips, tips, techniques & maybe a little bragging too. You don't need to know a location to catch fish! Just my opinion, fish on!

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:05 pm

well said Evan, nice to see someone with common sense.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 pm

you have a secret a spot dose not mean that 100 others do not already know about it or fish it ....... I fish one of the most heavily fished areas in western mass and seem to do ok every time i go ....The issue is are some people taking the big fish out when they are caught and not releasing them back ... In some places the same fish might be caught several times throughout the year....

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 pm

right, no such thing as secret spot. 100 people already fish it, so lets not add 500 more. I think we can all agree to disagree here. I and others have seen spots ruined by too much talk.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Which brings up what I brought up already... if you really know your honey hole well, you will be able to catch even with added pressure. It's about technique.

Troutfreak fishes an extremely pressured body of water. I've seen up to 50 anglers there in a few hours! On holiday weekends I wouldn't be surprised if close to 500 anglers tried there luck there. Most catch nothing, yet the technique he's created allows him to catch fish while others don't. You can still have a honey hole with hundreds of other people fishing it. They have just as much right to the location, but if you have better techniques, that spot will remain "yours" because you will be catching more fish (quantity and quality) than anyone else.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Evan nailed it

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:05 am

As troutfreak stated, it is the taking of fish that can really ruin a spot. There really aren't a lot of secret ponds in SE MA. Some are just fished more heavily than others. I have witnessed guys with livewells take 5lbrs from a pond to put in there own "honey hole"! That is the type of thing that can ruin a pond.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 am

Evan (fishingreek) definitely nailed it!

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:15 am

teamtrout

Which brings up what I brought up already... if you really know your honey hole well, you will be able to catch even with added pressure. It's about technique.

Troutfreak fishes an extremely pressured body of water. I've seen up to 50 anglers there in a few hours! On holiday weekends I wouldn't be surprised if close to 500 anglers tried there luck there. Most catch nothing, yet the technique he's created allows him to catch fish while others don't. You can still have a honey hole with hundreds of other people fishing it. They have just as much right to the location, but if you have better techniques, that spot will remain "yours" because you will be catching more fish (quantity and quality) than anyone else.

one of the issues though is that the "honey holes" have very limited parking. it's not a problem at bigger public places or areas with a lot of space but rolling up on a place after a long week of work and not being able to fish there since it's already full sucks.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:08 am

Yeah, fishingreek is spot on. I happily tell people where I fish if it is a big well known pond. I fish a lot of ponds that are small though and I keep those to myself, a few friends and I'll even tell people through PM.

Before I try any new spot I always go on its MAFF site, check any trips and I check Fishbrain. If I'm doing that, so are the people that will go there with their buckets of shiners and throw their beers and trash all over the place.

Fishbrain is way worse than MAFF though. I was so mad the first time I went on there and saw people posting about all these spots.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:44 am

fdw9652

bassturds

green harbor is my favorite spots!

if someone shows you a spot, you cant fish it with out them or without their permission.

Good rule.....

If I take you to one of my good spot and lose a big fish and couldn't get back for a week! I'd be mad if you go to that spot with out askin an get that fish I've been thinking about all week.

Or if I have a spot where I could go and catch a fish a few decent fish but you go with out me knowing! You pound the hell outa the place and shut the fish down!

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:04 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links