So did I. After last night and after tonights low temp everything should be safe! After only 2 times out I am already tired of drilling holes with the hand auger! Laughing

Posted Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Couple of guys went through at Forge Pond in Hanover today! Had to be some moving water they were over. I'm finding 4-6" at all the local ponds.

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Yea I live in Hanover, and heard about it through my buddy on the FD. Forge Pond does have moving water, there's an inflow that comes from the Indian Head watershed under the King Street bridge, that keeps the ice rather thin for quite a few yards on both sides, it's doesn't freeze over at all in about a 10 foot radius directly on either side of the bridge sometimes. Forge Pond has had people fall through the ice just about every year as far as I can remember haha, people don't know about the moving water, or just don't care.

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:32 pm

I fell through the ice as a kid. You won't find me ice fishing in this lifetime. Haha.

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:02 am

ive falling in twice when i was kid. i love ice fishing. now i know when to stay off.

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:44 am

Rapidly losing interest in this season! Been to 4 or 5 different ponds and can't get anything going. 1 bass and a few perch! I strictly jig and usually do ok, but not this year. Hate killing myself with the hand auger and not getting anything in return! Excercise I guess! Laughing

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:21 am

Was wondering if anyone has been out on the Ice the past few days. Drove by the nip yesterday and there were 2 guys fishing in the middle of the lake, tho it didn't look very safe

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:15 pm

I was out on Furnace this morning. Plenty of ice but the holes have really opened up from the rain and mild temp. Some of the cracks have opened up also. If we get a little snow cover it will become quite dangerous. It's like late Feb. conditions right now.

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:17 pm

I was out this past Sunday in Metrowest. 8" - 10" of black ice.

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 pm

6-8 inches in Stoneham, Melrose, and Saugus.

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:15 pm

10" ice Quaboag 15 trucks on it Sunday.

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:38 pm

I was out on Stetson Pond in Pembroke this morning. Was a little scary! There was a good 4" of ice but it was cracking all around me. I couldn't feel comfortable with all these cracks shooting all around me and bailed after an hour. Too bad because it was a really nice morning. I'm not going in over a couple of perch! Laughing

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Lake Ripple in Grafton had close to a foot of black ice on it yesterday when I was out there.

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:51 pm

teamtrout

6-8 inches in Stoneham, Melrose, and Saugus.

Teamtrout, Was that you out on spot pond???? If so how did you do?

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:24 pm

I'm not sure about Spot's thickness... With it being so big and windy, most of it is probably considerably thinner than the other ponds around that area.

But you saw someone out there? I suppose it could've been me... I went out on it in a small cove to the right of the zoo for an hour or so on Tuesday morning. I always fish it at least once a year, sometime early in the morning so if they kick me off, I've already got in a bit of fishing, since the legality of fishing Spot is, err... a grey area.

But on that matter, I did catch a few dink smallies. First smallies I've caught through the ice Very Happy

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links