Can you ice fish at Spot? I always figured you couldn't since your not allowed to touch the water when it is wet, I always thought it was the same when it is frozen?

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 am

Honestly i wouldn't bother. Spot pond is pretty much fished out . Its not stocked and i fished it about 4 years ago with very limited success. 1 bass and a couple sunfish in about 10 trips. Wrights pond in Medford is a lot better fishing. only about 5 mins from spot

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:49 am

Spot Pond is loaded with smallmouth and has some monsters in there. You just gotta find them.

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am

Yeah, you're probably not supposed to fish it in the winter, that's why I only go once or twice, and in the early morning. And of course only when the ice is thick.

Jamesd said it right, Spot is worth fishing. It is stocked in the spring, and trout are not that hard to catch in April. And the bass are slabs in there. In the Summer, it's way better than most ponds nearby, but I cant really speak for the winter. Through the ice, Wrights is easier to catch bass.

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Anyone know the thickness in southeast mass?? Saw a few guys out on the nip this afternoon, so I'm assuming it will be safe in the morning 2moro.

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:56 pm

I saw a few guys ice fishing near the rental dock. I've never ice fished but I would like to give it a shot and I live very close to spot.

I'm going to take a look tomorrow to see how thick the ice is.

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Let us know how how thick it is if you check. I am pretty close to it as well.

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Every pond is different! Many factors come into play. I was on Stetson in Pembroke the other day and the ice was breaking up beneath me. I was on Oldhams yesterday and today (about 1 mile away) and the ice was solid and in good shape. Sounds like more rain tomorrow that will thin it out even more. Supposed to change to snow and if that sticks on the ice things will be treacherous! Use caution and common sense. Not worth going in for a few perch and crappie!

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:13 pm

And now a possible "blizzard"! That may very well do it for the south shore, for me anyway. Drilling holes is work enough, I'm sure as hell not going to shovel snow too! Laughing

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:35 am

Guy on a ATV took a dip in Whitehall yesterday. Said there was 8-10 inches of ice but he hit a bad spot.

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:24 am

What does the snow do to the ice? Will it effect the thickness?l ooking like 20+ inches where i am but there's a major cool down in the temps for next week.

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Snow acts as an insulator for the ice. Keeps the new cold air out, preventing further freezing, making the ice dangerous. Plus, the more snow cover, the less you can see soft spots on the ice, or cracks, open ice fishing holes that haven't refroze, etc. Plethora of reasons why snow is bad news bears for Ice fishing.

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I didn't make it out to Spot pond on saturday due to the snow so I don't have an ice report.

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:33 am

I fished Comet Pond and Brigham Pond in Hubbardston last Sunday (1/25). Ice was 10"-12" thick. Plenty of people on both bodies of water but not much action. I caught one, small Crappie at Brigham on a Shiner. My buddy caught a small Yellow Perch. Hoping to get out again soon, but the snow may impact that.

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am

Was on Oldham this morning for a couple of hrs. A foot of snow, 2"crust with a few inches of slush under that and then 4-6" of ice. Some areas were solid to walk on, others I sunk into slush. Was tricky going. A lot of work for a few perch! Laughing Hadn't been out in a couple of weeks so I didn't mind.

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:23 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links