Hit chauncy. Ice was inconsistent, some spots seemed to be about a foot thick under the snow, some as thin as 5 or 6 inches. Only sluch was by the shore. Spent two hours not a single flag then two back-to-back, got a decent 2 pound pickerel.

Posted Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Does it look like the ice is safe for south east mass for this weekend?

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Just read an article from onthewater.com from yesterday which said situate MA has 8-10 inches of ice on its ponds. How much merit is there to that?

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Call Pete Belsan at Belsans Bait & Tackle. He will know the whats going on in Scituate.

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:34 pm

I've been out the last 3 mornings in Pembroke. There were 2 layers of ice with slush in the middle. The slush has pretty much frozen and bonded with the bottom layer. There has to be close to a foot of ice on most south shore ponds right now. The top half is soft ice and the bottom is solid black ice. However, you still should use caution out there as ice thickness will vary depending on the pond.

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm

don51

I've been out the last 3 mornings in Pembroke. There were 2 layers of ice with slush in the middle. The slush has pretty much frozen and bonded with the bottom layer. There has to be close to a foot of ice on most south shore ponds right now. The top half is soft ice and the bottom is solid black ice. However, you still should use caution out there as ice thickness will vary depending on the pond.

I was noticing something to that effect today at the nip. Thanks You for always answering my questions!

Posted Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Another freakin foot of snow going on top! It is reallly going to be a lot of work getting out there! Rolling Eyes 2/13 Well, another week another storm. Trying to get out after this one will be just about impossible! Too much work for me. It looks like the ice fishing season is over for me!

Posted Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 am

That's a wrap! Put the gear away this morning. It's tough work in good weather, I'm not going to fight with mountains of snow also! What really sucks is it will be a long wait for ice out. I doubt we will see any open water before April 1! Twisted Evil

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 am

i found open water last week! 2 spots and got a hunch on a third!

some ponds are brutal to much snow! some ponds arent that bad! ill still be going out ice fishing till it finaly warms the EFF UP!!!!!

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Good luck with that! Green Harbor! LOL!

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:55 pm

If there isn't open water by April 1st, I am going to go to every lake/pond in the South Shore and Cape Cod area with an industrial blow dryer. I want open water now. It's awful seeing YouTube videos of people down south and in California already "pre-spawn" fishing, then my friends that I met in the military who live in Texas/Alabama/Florida etc, posting pictures on Facebook on their bass boats, then looking outside at the 7 foot tall snow drifts here, really makes you want to up and move.

Posted Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 pm

this s*** is driving me crazy! i found 2 open water spots last saturday! im going to check em out this weekend

Posted Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:34 am

Last weekend I fished a small pond just outside of Worcester, 18 - 24 inches of ice. After 9am fish were hitting slow. Caught two Pickeral on shiners, one Yellow Perch on a shiner, and a bluegill on a worm jig. Hoping to get out at least two more times this season.

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:51 pm

flint has a lot of open ice right now, as well as big gap at the baot ramp that you'll have to jump over (about 3 feet wide) be cautious on flint

out on chauncy today ice was thick, but strange. 6-9 inches of soft ice, then 9-12 inches of slush and water, then another 6-9 inches of black ice below that

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links