Chuckies Creek seems to be relatively open in many spots along the Dedham-Needham, Newton 128 stretch and Newton Lower Falls area...we shored fished Newton Lower Fall area this past Sunday.
Just be careful with high water and hidden fall downs if you launch this time of year on the Charles.

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 am

Hopefully this upcoming "mild" weather and some rain will do a number on the ice. My streak of catching a bass every month of the year is in danger! Haven't fished at all this month, that hasn't happened in a long time! This has been a real suck month! Rolling Eyes

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:39 am

Any reports out there in the concord area

Posted Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Leverett pond in JP / Brookline is wide open. Have at it lol

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Robbins has just enough to cast, still not really open yet tho

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:12 pm

My first boat launch will either be Sunday or Monday.

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:45 pm

thelucky

Where?

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 am

jamesd

thelucky

Where?

The Charles probably somewhere around Dedham. I saw on Friday that there were a few places worth fishing that opened up, but there was still enough ice between spots to make getting to them a bit tricky. Should be fine in a day or so.

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Let us know if you catch anything there if you make it out. I'm thinking of making a trip that way soon to finally see some open water Very Happy

Posted Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 pm

The was the southern end of Sabbatia the other day.

All that ice is gone now. I'm assuming the area by the ramp will clear out soon and allow access to the river. That's where I'll shake off the winter rust, I think.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:16 am

I drove by Blue Hills Reservoir, Houghton's Pond, Jacob's Pond, and Whitman's Pond today. All were solid. I walked across Jacob's Pond and found a little open water under a walking bridge, but too little to cast. Whitman's Pond also has a little open water by the rte 53 bridge where you might get some accuracy practice in and not much else.

I figure two more weeks until waters are open enough down here to launch kayaks & boats.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm

thelucky

jamesd

thelucky

Where?

The Charles probably somewhere around Dedham. I saw on Friday that there were a few places worth fishing that opened up, but there was still enough ice between spots to make getting to them a bit tricky. Should be fine in a day or so.

Did you go? A lot of it is open but there's still ice and current.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 pm

samf

thelucky

jamesd

thelucky

Where?

Did you go? A lot of it is open but there's still ice and current.

I am going tomorrow, and it will probably be brutal. I never have any luck at that section in the early part of the year.

The shore bite from the lower end has been pretty good, this one was the biggest one for me one the day. Kind of tough to leave fish like this for a brutal bite.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 pm

wow nice fish great picture as well with the buildings in the background good work!

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 pm

I cruised around Greater Boston today looking for open water. Almost all the ponds and lakes were still too frozen to fish. Streams and brooks were mostly thawed and flowing. The Charles was almost completely frozen West of the Mass Ave bridge. Spot Pond was thawed partially near some places with steep dropoffs, but was just barely not fishable. The Fellsmere had some thawed spots on the shore and some guys I met at Spot said they'd caught Smallmouth bass on a Texas rig there recently. I was not able to catch any though. Leverett Pond was the only place thawed enough to fish extensively; for those who like fishing carp I think it would be productive. Everywhere else was far too frozen. In general you want to check the North side(s) of wherever you go, as they get the most sun. High for Friday April 3 is 60 degrees.

Posted Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links