Dead lunkers suck

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 pm

shawneramone

Damon, did Sam get the same motor that you have? I'm reading reviews and have seen some complaints about tranducer wires not being able to be secured to the shaft. I see that they have the universal transducer option. Did either of you get that? If not then do you have a solution?

Same exact one. We zip tied it to the bottom motor head and once at top. Then back down through the coils. Yes it hangs a bit but you just need to be careful and pay attention. A standard motor mount and shaft is too bulky. He cut mine down a bunch.

Last edited by samf on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 pm

samf

shawneramone

Damon, did Sam get the same motor that you have? I'm reading reviews and have seen some complaints about tranducer wires not being able to be secured to the shaft. I see that they have the universal transducer option. Did either of you get that? If not then do you have a solution?

Se exact one. We zip tied it to the bottom motor head and once at top. Then back down through the coils. Yes it hangs a bit but you just need to be careful and pay attention. A standard motor mount and shaft is too bulky. He cut mine down a bunch.

I used a dryer vent clam on mine. Works just fine.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm

fishingreek

samf

shawneramone

Se exact one. We zip tied it to the bottom motor head and once at top. Then back down through the coils. Yes it hangs a bit but you just need to be careful and pay attention. A standard motor mount and shaft is too bulky. He cut mine down a bunch.

I used a dryer vent clam on mine. Works just fine.

The concern is the way the motor folds back up. Like Sam said. Loose wire. I actually have the minn kota trolling motor clamp for the transducer. Originally I had it zip tied. There's no difference. The clamp was a waste of money

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:16 pm

terrova is overkill. if i can get someone to fish with me tomorrow, you will see that the transducer cable is not an issue. or i'll go solo if you guys ou can help me take the boat down that steep launch.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm

samf

terrova is overkill. if i can get someone to fish with me tomorrow, you will see that the transducer cable is not an issue. or i'll go solo if you guys ou can help me take the boat down that steep launch.

We'll definitely help you

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm

First off huge thanks go out to all who were involved and "turned" the proverbial wrench on Sams boat. Dan and Joe did an awesome job wiring it, and despite a few hiccups and on the fly adjustments we were able to hand off Sam his boat this evening.
Sam thanks for letting us have at your boat, it has been fun for sure, and if you ever need any adjustments or anything just let me know!
Started the day by stripping everything off the "mocked up" hull and made all of the final wiring connections. Ill let Joe and Dan provide the details.
Reattached all the front decks and fitted the trolling motor with quick mount and buttoned up the final connections with its wiring.

At Sams request I shortened the motor shaft approx 12". Those of you brave enough to attempt shaft shortening, be sure you cut the shaft with a DULL hacksaw blade, this helps stop the carbon fiber shaft from fraying and with a sensitive touch you can cut all around the shaft without ever touching the wires inside the shaft. Then before drilling the shaft throu holes to bolt it back together I slip a deep well socket over the wires and into the shaft, clamp or hold it so it doesn't "fall" into the shaft, and drill away, the socket will prevent you from accidentally drilling thou the wires in the shaft. (Those of you actually reading this, I dedicate this paragraph to Shawn and Stratos.... how many times can I use the word shaft.... Very Happy )
After that we wrapped up the Stern lighting and battery mounting, using 3/4" PVC, simply cut a plate, affixed the battery straps to it and screwed it into the rear seat. This is just to keep the battery from sliding around and he can undo the quick release on the box and take the whole mess in with him.
Finally after all was said and done Sam and I spent and hour or so messing with the T-Bar and figuring out how to load everything into his car, kinda like a rubix cube, but with a much cooler payoff! So there it is, basically a bass boat you can load into a Honda Accord! Laughing

Thanks again, I'm sure Sam, Dan, and Joe will be providing further details and photos. I hope Sam get a ton of use out of it!

Last edited by fallentimber on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Looks great. Hope to see you guys in the spring.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

What a great project. Great job guys. Was the cooler aerator completed as well?

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

yes i have a bunch of pictures and the spray bar for you. ill put them up if i can get these reels spooled haha

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes it was I'll let the guys fill in the blanks but everything worked the way it was supposed to and it is a pretty trick setup.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:30 pm

fallentimber

Yes it was I'll let the guys fill in the blanks but everything worked the way it was supposed to and it is a pretty trick setup.

I'm definitely copying it

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm

WOW! Congrats Sam. Great work to all involved!

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Sam thanks for letting us drill holes all over your boat!

This boat is completely modular and very light. Fully decked out with a livewell half full Damon and I were holding it up very easily.

Joe wired the main fuse/switch panel as I made and mounted 7 strips of LED's (3 red under the upper deck, 2 white underneath the main deck, and 2 red in the back by the batteries).

The switch panel below controls the:
1.) Livewell system (switch to timer; timer to 12v plug)
2.) LED lights
3.) bow and transom nav lights.

The livewell is powered by a 12v accessory socket, so the livewell is plug and play and Sam can use the plug for something else. Sam is also using a Minn Kota power box to house his TM batt. There are 2 12v accessory ports on the box, so if he runs out of juice on the livewell battery he can plug the livewell into the TM batt.

Good pic of the upper deck LEDs

http://s1082.beta.photobucket.com/user/bangbang2500/media/livewellvid_zps551da54f.mp4.html

and of course we had to leave our mark

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:52 pm

just unbelievable work by everyone. i'll put up some more pictures and details tomorrow but i just rigged up 3 rods/reels to take this bad boy for a test spin tomorrow haha

that straight aerator spray head is money. and the extender worked out very well with minimal strapping needed. the boat didn't move on the way home and with the way it goes on top, there's almost no wind resistance.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links