i need to get back up there for lakers!!!

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am

Well you can get a live bait pretty far if you use an egg sinker rig, especially with a big egg sinker. That way you can get the bait out far and into deeper, colder water. Then it's just up to the live bait you use...

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 am

the problem with big weights is that they are lead! you cant use any lead in their! not even a 5 ounce lead weight. ZERO LEAD!!!!!!!

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 am

true. you could always make your own weights if you had a mold but that's a bit of a hassle. I'm sure there's tin or tungsten sinkers SOMEWHERE!

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:21 am

there is but nothing bigger then 3/4 or maybe 1 ounce

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am

I bet you could get away with a 3/4 or 1 oz. sinker and still make solid casts.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 pm

We have a guy who makes weights all steel. And yes there is spots u can cast to 50 ft of water in summer. My 13lber was mid July off live bait.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I may make a trip in the summer with some fall fish just to see if it was 1 time thing but I also know of 9lber taken with a livable in august

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:02 pm

im going up there soon! i got tricks up my sleeve to help me get out super far with big bait. mission 10lbser

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:52 pm

i sell up to 2 ounce tungsten weights.

www.tungstenfan.com

If you try to throw it hard to get some distance, the bait will fly out. You have to throw pass the weedline to get some depth. In the cold weather, lake trout come up shallow, live bait can be effective. I believe this time of the year, lake trout is more likely suspend in the water column most of the time. So bottom fishing in great depth is not a good strategy. Believe me and good luck.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Great website. Will definitely be ordering some weights from it eventually.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm

and holler at me dave or mike if you make that summer trip

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Yah haha u got Mike and i's juices flowing. Success rate most likely not great but I may give it a shot. Everyone( including myself) thought I was crazy last time I went out in July but it produced my biggest laker.im def interested to see if lightning does indeed strike twice. I will let you know. Want to see if bait is in my river.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Not sure where to *buy* 3-inch yellow perch, but the Chestnut Hill Reservoir is absolutely loaded with them, near the shore. They dominate all other species in terms of quantity and visibility. (Not necessarily 3-inchers, but yellow perch of all sizes.

Posted Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I will use up to 6 in perch or fall fish. Even smallies take big perch.

Posted Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links