i need a trip there soon! not this weekend but possibly next weekend!

im going to use slip bobbers and shiners to get to the thermocline for salmon. bottom for lakers.
then hit the rivers for some trout.

i want to go exploring up there, check out new spots. hit up the basins

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am

good luck! I'm also looking to get down to Wachusett in a little over a week. Hopefully one of us can get some summer laker luck.

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 am

ive fished it twice late last summer. august and early sept. only 2 tiny smallies to show.. i was going after smallies. had some big blow ups on topwater early morning

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:52 am

Going to try for some fall fish lets get out there soon

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 am

i got big dead shiners and perch left over from ice fishing. they SMELL!!!!!!! big ol stinky bait im sure will attract hungry fish

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 am

That'll do it. Did you catch all the perch yourself?

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 am

yep! caught them all ice fishing! we were piking the next week!

had 1 flag with teeth marks. another flag didnt trip cuz it froze so the bait and a few yards of line were gone

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 am

Where did you go for the pike? Quaboag?

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am

hahaha cant tell ya!

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am

I know where it is!! I have insider info!!! well, just kidding. I was totally there with ya bud! haha good job.

I'll go Chu sometimes this month or next. depend on my job. Strictly lures only.

Posted Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:24 pm

deaffisherman

I know where it is!! I have insider info!!! well, just kidding. I was totally there with ya bud! haha good job.

I'll go Chu sometimes this month or next. depend on my job. Strictly lures only.

that was a good day! COLD!!!!!! big perch were instantly freezing after we caught them

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:58 am

If I target lakers with spoons, what is probably the best size to use? 1/2 oz?

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 am

i go 3/4-1 1/2 even 2 ounce

i want to get as far and as deep as quickly as possible. im a firm believer that the bigger fish stay away from shore. spring and fall when water is cold you dont need to go super deep or super far! ive had lakers hit my bait in 10-20 feet of water! they came up and whacked the spoon at my feet!

they will frequently follow your lure to the end and then smash it

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

baystate - I have been using 3/4, 1, and 1.5oz spoons. although i have few 2 oz spoons in my bag. I found 1oz spoon work well for me. while other kinds of spoon is on 3/4oz. If its super windy, i used 1.5oz.

In other note, prepare to lose alot of spoons. because I havent got single laker until I did bottom bounce spoon on rocks. boom, lot of laker bite. I have several smallmouth, rainbows, and brown trouts caught on this exact method. But, just remember, Chu is super tough place to fish. Sometimes, she give you some loves and sometimes, she is not nice at all.

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Well said Marc. I must have made like 10 trips before catching a fish. Take my friend first day he has laker after 15 min. Right place right time sometimes. She is so worth the time though. Chu has become my favorite place to fish.

Posted Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links