I've been really hoping to do an overnight trip to Wachusett Reservoir to hook into my first Lake Trout. The only thing I need to figure out is what baits to use. Through MAFF I learned about using yellow perch on an egg sinker rig. My idea was to either catch a bunch of yellow perch and throw them in a bait bucket or just use shiners. My other rod would be mainly spoons. Does this plan sound good and does anyone have suggestions for baits I may have more success on?

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 am

I'd be interested in hearing any advice also! I've never targeted Trout before but would like too.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:12 am

you cant be there overnight, its open 1hr before sunup to 1hr after sundown

bait on the bottom. all so heavy metal, long casts are needed!

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:29 am

thanks for the tip. What kind of baitfish do you usually bring? And when I said overnight meant just stay in a hotel and get up early the next morning to fish.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 am

gotcha! i usualy use shiners when im using bait!

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:39 am

Big perch for big lakers. Or big fallfish for big lakers. But if your goal is just to catch a laker, you're probably better off with shiners.

It's hard to get a good supply of 3 inch yellow perch (although this is the prime bait), and bigger perch will lead to bigger trout, but far less trout. I'd go with shiners or creek chubs (if you can trap/catch them) from 3-4 inches.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am

Make sure you hit deep deep water if you go in the summer. Got to the bait store and ask for some gate advice. Most important watch out for ticks. I got Lyme disease and I am pretty sure it's from wachusett. It sucks.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Best time to go is early spring or late fall. It is possible to catch in the summer( I caught my biggest mid july) but less likely n deep water a must. Most deep spots will be a good walk. Small sun fish also a great bait. Pike shiners if u use shiners. If u r doing an over night I would til spring. If u r going to drop that kind of money. My biggest was caught on a 6in fall fish.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm

What gates do people usually take?

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I like gate 8. Can't tell u exact spot hard to describe. Also gate 35 also known as the rook. About a 40 min walk to the rook up a hill. Not for the weak. But some of the deepest water from shore. And some say best fishing on the res. If u r fishing live bait def need a plan. It is a long walk with bait bucket.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Pm me in the spring or fall n be glad to take you to any of these spots. I'm just on to bass right now.Laker bite to tough right now.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Cool i'd love to maybe plan a trip for next spring if that's cool with you

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:09 pm

That sounds good. I'm by no means an expert but have been shown some decent spots that produce lakers. Like any fishing though can be a crap shoot but at least u will be at spots that have produced at one time or another.

Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:56 pm

im going out to beat your 13lbser!

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:43 am

none throw live bait far. I think 30 yards out is the maximum. Don't even waste your time throwing live bait in the summer try to catch lake trout, simply because they are not in the water column your live bait is. They stay in the water column about 55 degree. That means 50 feet plus in depth in thermocline. I do see people catch lake trout in the summer. Use metal spoon like kastmaster, deadly dick, not flutter spoon like krocodile.

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links